Giving Plants a Soapy Water Bath for Insect Control

I have heard that "soapy water" baths are good for plants in order to avoid insects or plant plagues. Is there any truth to this? If not, what can I do when their leaves seem to have been eaten by an insect?

Hardiness Zone: 1

By Marylin from San Diego, CA

Answers

I've only used soapy water to go after aphids, then I rinse it off.

You need to be careful with soap and water sprays, you can damage your leaves. This stuff is a contact spray for aphids with no residual effects. It clogs the aphids so they can't breathe. A heavy concentration can do that to your leaves. Rinse it off when you are done. I find a teaspoon of Ivory Liquid to a quart of water is adequate.

Don't use antibacterial soaps.

To get whatever is eating your plants. Identify the bug then use an appropriate treatment. You can find all sorts of organic methods on line.

aphids on a plant
Using Soaps and Detergents for Insect Control on Plants
Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlJune 24, 2010
Baby in a Bubble Bath
Giving a Baby a Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
🎉
🎄