Give Gifts of Time

Offer a free Christmas gift this year, such as a night of free babysitting, a day of house cleaning, an afternoon tutoring a child or adult, or even just spending time with a shut-in person who is unable to get out. The recipient will thank you for your thoughtful gift.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Anonymous

Love your idea! Bless you!

Great idea, Fossil - especially when the person has everything he or she needs in material goods. Time is what I asked for from my girls last year. We went out to lunch, although we did each pay our own way. In fact, I intend to ask for the same gift this year. Thumbs up!

I did this one Christmas when I was flat broke! I wrote out what the "gift" was on a little card (I cut up a cereal box - yes I was THAT broke!) signed them, and gave them out nicely decorated with a bit of holly and ribbon, each in its own envelope. It was a great success and much appreciated! babysitting, doing the shopping, errands, paying bills, ironing, picking up kids from school and looking after them for a couple of hours.....etc.etc.

This year, give the gift of thrifty fun! As the holidays are approaching, I am not looking forward to the tins, trays and baskets of goodies I get every year. I have no will power and I can't stop at just one cookie or piece of candy. Instead I will be giving my friends a greeting card with a decorated index card. On this index card, I will have a recipe that I have gotten rave reviews on, a few websites that I can't function without (ThriftyFun.com being one of them) and a gift of babysitting for a Friday or Saturday night. (Doesn't have to be babysitting, maybe shoveling a neighbor's walk or driveway for the first big snow, walking a dog, etc.)

This is a great gift for mom's at the kid's bus stop, neighbor's, friends and family. It's very creative and thoughtful, yet super inexpensive!

By Michele from Bangor, PA

Answers:

Give Gifts of Time Instead of Food this Season

Absolutely lovely idea and definitely in the spirit of Christmas! (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

I agree! In fact, I told my daughters I'd rather have a "girls' day out" with them and my daughter-in-law than anything else. (12/09/2009)

By JustPlainJo