Give Gifts of Time

Offer a free Christmas gift this year, such as a night of free babysitting, a day of house cleaning, an afternoon tutoring a child or adult, or even just spending time with a shut-in person who is unable to get out. The recipient will thank you for your thoughtful gift.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Love your idea! Bless you!

Great idea, Fossil - especially when the person has everything he or she needs in material goods. Time is what I asked for from my girls last year. We went out to lunch, although we did each pay our own way. In fact, I intend to ask for the same gift this year. Thumbs up!

I did this one Christmas when I was flat broke! I wrote out what the "gift" was on a little card (I cut up a cereal box - yes I was THAT broke!) signed them, and gave them out nicely decorated with a bit of holly and ribbon, each in its own envelope. It was a great success and much appreciated! babysitting, doing the shopping, errands, paying bills, ironing, picking up kids from school and looking after them for a couple of hours.....etc.etc.

December 1, 2010 Flag

This year, give the gift of thrifty fun! As the holidays are approaching, I am not looking forward to the tins, trays and baskets of goodies I get every year. I have no will power and I can't stop at just one cookie or piece of candy. Instead I will be giving my friends a greeting card with a decorated index card. On this index card, I will have a recipe that I have gotten rave reviews on, a few websites that I can't function without ( being one of them) and a gift of babysitting for a Friday or Saturday night. (Doesn't have to be babysitting, maybe shoveling a neighbor's walk or driveway for the first big snow, walking a dog, etc.)

This is a great gift for mom's at the kid's bus stop, neighbor's, friends and family. It's very creative and thoughtful, yet super inexpensive!

By Michele from Bangor, PA

Give Gifts of Time Instead of Food this Season

Absolutely lovely idea and definitely in the spirit of Christmas! (12/08/2009)

By Deeli

I agree! In fact, I told my daughters I'd rather have a "girls' day out" with them and my daughter-in-law than anything else. (12/09/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Hand Holding Small Christmas Gift
Frugal Christmas Gift Ideas
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts AdviceDecember 1, 2010
Several wrapped gifts.
Saving Money on Gifts
Freebies wrapped as gifts.
Collecting Freebies for Gifts
Christmas Gifts
Drawing Names for Christmas Gifts
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts