Au Gratin Potatoes with Ham

This recipe was our Thursday night supper when all 5 kids were living at home. It is a one dish casserole meal that I usually serve with a tossed green salad and/or a veggie on the side.

I got the idea when I was making AuGratin Potatoes and sliced ham for dinner and then decided there wouldn't be enough Ham to go around for everybody. Now I make it, portion it, and freeze it for just my DH and myself to enjoy. My daughter adds chopped broccoli when she makes it and it is quite tasty, unfortunately, my DH doesn't like broccoli.

• 6 cups thinly sliced potatoes (peeled or unpeeled, I did half and half)
  • 3 cups smokey flavored ham cut into 1/2 to 3/4-inch dice (can use more or less, if desired)
  • 1 can condensed cream of celery soup
  • 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • approximately 1/2 of a large log of Velveeta Cheese, cubed small
  • 1 medium-sized green bell pepper, chopped fine
  • 1 small-sized raw yellow onion, diced fine
  • black pepper, to taste (doesn't. require salt because the condensed soup and ham are so salty!)
  • Ad
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. garlic powder (optional or to your taste)
  • 1 large can French-fried onions

Please Note: French-fried onions will go on the top of the mix toward the end of baking! Use a food processor on 'pulse' to cut down on the prep time for onion and bell pepper--use the slicing disk for the potatoes.

Also note, that I have also used frozen cubed potatoes and frozen hash brown potatoes in this recipe. If using frozen, do not use the 1/2 cup. of milk as the potatoes are already partially cooked and do not require the added liquid and cut down the baking time.

Heavily butter a large roasting pan and set aside, or 2, 9 x 13 inch baking pans. Slice potatoes and dice Velveeta cheese and ham and set all aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the 2 soups, sour cream, pepper, and garlic powder. Add bell pepper, and raw onion to the mix, stirring well. Pour approximately 1/4 of this mixture into the heavily buttered baking dish(es). Add approximately half of the potatoes, ham, and Velveeta cheese. Pour another 1/4 of the soup mixture over the top of this. Add the rest of the potatoes and ham and top with remaining soup mixture. Sprinkle remaining Velveeta cheese over this.

Cover very loosely with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and take off foil. Cover with French-fried onions and return to the oven for another 20 to 30 minutes. Casserole is done when top is lightly browned and potatoes are done. Serve hot as a side dish.

Travels well. Freezes well.

Servings: 6 to 8
Time:15 to 20 Minutes Preparation Time
1 Hours Cooking Time

By Juanita S. from Enid, OK

Au Gratin Potatoes
Au Gratin Potatoes Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesAugust 6, 2009
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Recipes Using Leftover Ham, Spiral sliced ham.
Freezing Leftover Ham
Ham Loaf
Ham Loaf Recipes