Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

When should I expect my 11 week Yorkshire's ears to come up? I've seen other yorkies with their ears up at 9 weeks but mines aren't up yet. I've seen the parents and their ears are up and the breeder also said his ears would go up, but when?

By Judyx3 from Fresno, CA

By DEBY [18]01/10/2011

My yorkies ears did not go up til he was about 3 months. He is now 2 and when he listens both go up and when hes relaxed 1 flops and the other stands. Its really cute and don't expect all of this out of them. Just give them lots of love. They never judge us by a bad hair day, they just love us.

By Candy Killion [8]08/05/2009

We have a purebred Belgian Malinois ( they look like a smaller German Shepherd)that's nearly three years old and whose ears stand up, only once in a while.

When she was little, the DH was concerned--like GSD's, the Mals ears usually stand up by around four months. We asked the vet, is it cartilage damage, or nutrition, or is something otherwise wrong?

The answer we got is that in any breed, there's always that one pup who will defy the standard and is otherwise conforming and healthy, and just doesn't hold up its ears.

So your furbaby may or may not end up with standing ears. Chances are it might, but like a child at its own pace. When a kid is three years old, does it matter if it walked at 11 months when its cousin walked at 10?

As long as your dog is healthy and happy. Love it as is. I think the floppy ears give our gal a little...character!

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

By Claudia07/20/2009

I tried taping my lil girls ears for 2 days at a time for about 2 weeks and the longest her ears stood up was for about 4 hours then they went down and you know what?....after seeing her with her ears up I though she was so much cuter with her ears down she's my lil princess I love her!

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

By Cricket [201]05/07/2009

My mother used to breed Yorkies, and from my experience with hers, they will probably stand up on their own in a few months.

Just remember one thing. Neither your dog or his ears have ever read any books on when to do what. So they do it when they are ready, and not before. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but it's true! LOL Just be patient and his ears will come up when they are ready. And even if they don't, droopy ears won't make him any less lovable or cute!

By cathy05/07/2009

When I got mine, his never stood up. I was told that I should have shaved them down some, cause the hair can be too heavy. I was also told that not standing may be weaker ears.

By Robyn Fed [388]05/03/2009

Massaging them softly every day feels good to the puppy and also helps blood to circulate helping the ears to stand up faster...but nature has it's own timetable, but the dogs love to have their ears massaged anyway. We did that for our chi's ears. Now she looks like she is ready to take off! Robyn

By Judi [17]04/30/2009

If you can whistle at your dog or otherwise get him alert and his ears stand then they will stand later. I think the usual time is about 4 months but with this as with many other things, each animal is different.

Here are questions related to Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up.

Question: Bull Terrier's Ears Not Standing Up

Bull Terrier puppy.I have a 3 month old Bull Terrier. How old do you think they should be when their ears stand up on their own? Does massaging them help or do I have to tape them?

By c w

Question: Chow's Ears Not Standing Up

My tea cup Chau's ears will not stand up. Her siblings' ears are standing. How long will it take? She is 10 weeks old.

By Cindy

Most Recent Answer

By misty dempsey05/11/2013

My chihuahua ears didnt stand up untill he was like 5 months. Just give it some time. Now if I can get my male dog to lift his leg when he pees, haha :) .

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

***

Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up
*** I just got a new German shepherd/husky mix puppy in the last 2 weeks. He is 9 weeks old but his ears are still so floppy. No part of his ears are standing up. Does anyone have any idea if his ears will stand up some day soon?

Abbie from Webster, TX

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Most dog breeds that appear to have standing ears usually require taping (ie Dobermans, boxers etc.) when they are puppies -- it's extremely painful for the puppies and tiresome for the owners. Some breeds that have ears that stand on their own, will likely stand on their own. I used to have a German Sheppard cross who's ears would perk up sometimes. I think your little puppy is perfect just as he/she is. (04/30/2008)

By Christene

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Well from what I know, your puppy's ears may or may not stand up. Because German shepherd's ears have to be cropped as a puppy to stand up, and a husky's ears will stand up at about 6 to 10 months old. So having a mix, it's hard to say. (04/30/2008)

By melissa

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

A friend of mine raises shepherds and every once in awhile she has to tape or glue the ears, but if your puppy is only 9 weeks old it's way too young yet. Gluing isn't advised until about 4 months or so. Just give him some time and they will most likely come up on their own. By the way, he's a beauty! I had a shepherd/husky mix once too. She lived to be almost 15 years old. Wonderful dogs! Good luck with him. (04/30/2008)

By marisa0407

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

My husband is a veterinarian and he says maybe by 4 months. When you whistle or call to him do the ears jump up at all? That's a sign that they will some day. (04/30/2008)

By Glenn'sMom

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

If this is a Shepard/Husky do not tape, glue, or certainly do not crop. Some dogs that usually have stand up ears will have what is called a gouch ear (doesn't stand up). I had a shepard that had one gouch ear and one stand up ear as a puppy. I massaged the muscle at the base of his ear several times day (for quite a while), that seemed to strengthen the muscle and the ear stood up just like the other one.

PS: From the picture you sent it, looks like your pup might also have a little hound in him. If so, the ears might not stand up. So just rub his ears, love him a lot (he is cute) and hope for the best. (05/01/2008)

By tejas

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Some breeds require your vet or breeder to crop their ears, to make them stand up. Not all breeds' ears stand up automatically. I personally feel, cropping the ears OR tails for that matter is unnecessary. Love them for the way God made them. (05/02/2008)

By KJ

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Oh, he is so cute! Even if his ears never stand up. I love dogs with floppy ears. (05/02/2008)

By dayzfan

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

I have had non-stop German Shepherds forever as pets. Each pup is different in when and how the erectile tissue forms to stand those ears up. They are not cropped or taped. The white on your pup's chest indicates a mixed breed so you may end up with one, two, or no ears standing up. Be patient and love that little darling for who he is. (05/03/2008)

By solus

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Try making sure that he gets enough calcium. Sometimes that helps. But like others have said, they may not ever stand up. And he is awesome no matter what his ears do. Love him unconditionally like he does you! :) (05/05/2008)

By Chihuahua Mom

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Your puppy is adorable. If you are sure he's a shepherd/husky and no other mix, his ears should stand up regardless of how long it takes. I have had full blooded German Shepherds for many years. Some of them had ears up right away, and some took so long I began to wonder even though the vet said, "Don't worry". Some have to grow into their ears. I noticed this with my leaner, taller ones. Ears don't matter with a wonderful dog unless you need a certain breed for a certain reason or intend to show them. Enjoy your cute puppy. (05/08/2008)

By Stngray

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

This is an updated picture from the subject's picture. I named him Wolfie. He is a 10 week old puppy now. He is a cute little puppy. Thank you all for giving advice and giving out information. (05/09/2008)

By abbie.n

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

I have a husky/shepard mix. His ears didn't stand up until he was about 6 months old. He partially lifted one ear, then the other. Then he fully lifted the first ear, then the second one came. He looked so cute! You have such a cute pup! (05/22/2008)

By veronica

RE: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

I have a husky/Shepard mix and her ears didn't stand up all the way until she was about 8 months old, but they started when she was 5 months. It was so cute for her to have one ear up and the other was almost all the way standing up. (11/23/2008)

By Amanda F.