Browsing: Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up

When should I expect my 11 week Yorkshire's ears to come up? I've seen other yorkies with their ears up at 9 weeks but mines aren't up yet. I've seen the parents and their ears are up and the breeder also said his ears would go up, but when?

By Judyx3 from Fresno, CA

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

My mother used to breed Yorkies, and from my experience with hers, they will probably stand up on their own in a few months.

Just remember one thing. Neither your dog or his ears have ever read any books on when to do what. So they do it when they are ready, and not before. I don't mean to sound sarcastic, but it's true! LOL Just be patient and his ears will come up when they are ready. And even if they don't, droopy ears won't make him any less lovable or cute!

Best Answer

I tried taping my lil girls ears for 2 days at a time for about 2 weeks and the longest her ears stood up was for about 4 hours then they went down and you know what?....after seeing her with her ears up I though she was so much cuter with her ears down she's my lil princess I love her!

Best Answer

We have a purebred Belgian Malinois ( they look like a smaller German Shepherd)that's nearly three years old and whose ears stand up, only once in a while.

When she was little, the DH was concerned--like GSD's, the Mals ears usually stand up by around four months. We asked the vet, is it cartilage damage, or nutrition, or is something otherwise wrong?

The answer we got is that in any breed, there's always that one pup who will defy the standard and is otherwise conforming and healthy, and just doesn't hold up its ears.

So your furbaby may or may not end up with standing ears. Chances are it might, but like a child at its own pace. When a kid is three years old, does it matter if it walked at 11 months when its cousin walked at 10?

As long as your dog is healthy and happy. Love it as is. I think the floppy ears give our gal a little...character!

If you can whistle at your dog or otherwise get him alert and his ears stand then they will stand later. I think the usual time is about 4 months but with this as with many other things, each animal is different.

Massaging them softly every day feels good to the puppy and also helps blood to circulate helping the ears to stand up faster...but nature has it's own timetable, but the dogs love to have their ears massaged anyway. We did that for our chi's ears. Now she looks like she is ready to take off! Robyn

When I got mine, his never stood up. I was told that I should have shaved them down some, cause the hair can be too heavy. I was also told that not standing may be weaker ears.

My yorkies ears did not go up til he was about 3 months. He is now 2 and when he listens both go up and when hes relaxed 1 flops and the other stands. Its really cute and don't expect all of this out of them. Just give them lots of love. They never judge us by a bad hair day, they just love us.

Chihuahua puppy with big floppy ears
Puppy's Ears Don't Stand Up
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 30, 2009
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Elephant Ears Leaf
Saving Elephant Ears Bulbs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 20, 2016 at 9:51:58 PM on 10.0.2.139 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.