Fly Repellent for Dogs

How do I make a fly repellent for my dogs?

By MWorth from Bellflower, CA

Best Answer

I am a vet in Australia. In regards to advice I've seen about using garlic to keep away flies and fleas, garlic is toxic to dogs. It is also a complete myth that it keeps away fleas, flies and vampires! This is very dangerous advice as both garlic and onion can cause haemolytic anaemia in dogs and cats.

Dr. Eloise Bright BVSc. (Hons.)

a holistic vet has stated opposite with what you have stated Garlic was recommended raw and not powdered forms of garlic to be given

one bulb in low quantities a few times weekly ,not every day. The natural pet magazines with DVM advises also it is beneficial to a dogs digestion.

I know that it is diff to control flies, but also be sure that you have something. Sticky fly strips pinned up out of reach of animals, fly bait jars, etc, something to help get control of them.

Flies absolutely hate the smell of mint. I would purchase some peppermint extract from the baking aisle of the grocery store and dab a small amount on your dog's problem areas. A little goes a long way. Hope this helps.

August 5, 2009 Flag

I have 2 large dogs and the flies are eating on their ears. Does anyone have a home remedy that I could use to repel the flies from my pets safely? Thank you.

Fly Repellent for Dogs

You could try spraying the dogs with vinegar water, it seems that I read somewhere you can also put it in the drinking water to repel ticks and fleas. You may want to research the amount ratio, but I spray my dogs with vinegar water to neutralize odors and it works great, too. (06/15/2005)

By Barbie

Fly Repellent for Dogs

I've smoothed Vaseline on the top side of my dog's ears. It seemed to work to repel flies. (06/16/2005)

By Guest

Fly Repellent for Dogs

We use crocodile oil here. It heals very quickly and repels flies. (10/03/2005)

By Chris

Fly Repellent for Dogs

Go to a horse supply or TSC and get "Swat". It repels the flies and helps with healing. (06/30/2007)

By zig

Fly Repellent for Dogs

I have found that Neosporin on the tips of the ears seems to repel flies. I also use a product called "Flies Off". (07/28/2007)

By Ron

Fly Repellent for Dogs

I really wanted to use something natural on my 3 dogs, but nothing seemed to work other than UIltrashield fly repellent. I avoid their faces, by spraying it on my gloved hand and wiping it on their ears and other facial areas. (06/10/2008)

By Sunny

Fly Repellent for Dogs

I have successfully used fresh Aloe plant especially on our dog's nose and on his body. You break open the leaves and smear it on. If you taste it you'll know why flies don't like it. (09/17/2008)

By Renee

Fly Repellent for Dogs

Flies Off only works for a few hours then you have to reapply. I'm still looking for something better. (07/11/2009)

By Roger64

Puppy scratching.
Keeping Flies Off Your Dog
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesAugust 5, 2009
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Mosquito Repellent Coil
Insect Repellents Safe for Use on Pets
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper