Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Fly Repellent for Dogs

How do I make a fly repellent for my dogs?

By MWorth from Bellflower, CA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Claudia K. [1]07/15/2013

Garlic pills, people! Keeps them off dog and little specs of feces that remain even after you pick up!

By Kristina Gonzales [6]08/06/2009

Flies absolutely hate the smell of mint. I would purchase some peppermint extract from the baking aisle of the grocery store and dab a small amount on your dog's problem areas. A little goes a long way. Hope this helps.

By Frances Adams [11]08/06/2009

I know that it is diff to control flies, but also be sure that you have something. Sticky fly strips pinned up out of reach of animals, fly bait jars, etc, something to help get control of them.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Fly Repellent for Dogs

I have 2 large dogs and the flies are eating on their ears. Does anyone have a home remedy that I could use to repel the flies from my pets safely? Thank you.

Shanon

RE: Fly Repellent for Dogs

You could try spraying the dogs with vinegar water, it seems that I read somewhere you can also put it in the drinking water to repel ticks and fleas. You may want to research the amount ratio, but I spray my dogs with vinegar water to neutralize odors and it works great, too. (06/15/2005)

By Barbie

RE: Fly Repellent for Dogs

I've smoothed Vaseline on the top side of my dog's ears. It seemed to work to repel flies. (06/16/2005)

By Guest

RE: Fly Repellent for Dogs

We use crocodile oil here. It heals very quickly and repels flies. (10/03/2005)

By Chris

RE: Fly Repellent for Dogs

Go to a horse supply or TSC and get "Swat". It repels the flies and helps with healing. (06/30/2007)

By zig

RE: Fly Repellent for Dogs

I have found that Neosporin on the tips of the ears seems to repel flies. I also use a product called "Flies Off". (07/28/2007)

By Ron

RE: Fly Repellent for Dogs

I really wanted to use something natural on my 3 dogs, but nothing seemed to work other than UIltrashield fly repellent. I avoid their faces, by spraying it on my gloved hand and wiping it on their ears and other facial areas. (06/10/2008)

By Sunny

RE: Fly Repellent for Dogs

I have successfully used fresh Aloe plant especially on our dog's nose and on his body. You break open the leaves and smear it on. If you taste it you'll know why flies don't like it. (09/17/2008)

By Renee

RE: Fly Repellent for Dogs

Flies Off only works for a few hours then you have to reapply. I'm still looking for something better. (07/11/2009)

By Roger64