FurnitureDecorating

Family Room With Navy Sectional

I'm in the process of remodeling and need some decorating help. I'd like to use a navy sectional in my family room and was thinking of painting the walls a goldish yellow. Any ideas on how to make this work? The room also leads to my kitchen, so I need a color there as well. The cabinets are maple, so continuing the gold is probably not a great idea - they might clash. Any help is appreciated.

Jill

Hi, I love decorating and colors. Instead of a gold yellow, have you thought about a medium, creamy yellow, which would compliment the maple. Yellow and blue are pretty together, and very fresh. Bring the blue into the kitchen with curtains and accessories. A blue and yellow rug in the kitchen. Enjoy and good luck.

I have to agree. A gold-yellow may be to strong a color to go with a navy. Perhaps a sandy-yellow color with your navy sectional would give the room a nautical feel. You could use bright white for window casement and moldings. You could accent with twine rope (which is cheap) and use white curtains with grommits for threading. If you are people who could head the nautical direction that is. But from a monetary standpoint it definitely has it's benefits.

A third color in this scheme could be a rust.

The great thing about fabric is that you can find some with almost any colour combination that pleases you. Some strategically placed throw pillows, curtains, etc. in the coordinating fabric can tie the whole room together.

If you haven't done it yet, check out the home page of http://www.homereserve.com. They show a fabric that has a gold and a blue on the home page, paired with a blue ottomon.

You might also pick up the blue on one wall, and put a somewhat muted gold on the other three in that room. Then, you have the blue to carry on either as a primary color or an accent in your kitchen.

David