Lowering Electric Oven Temperatures While Baking

I use an oven thermometer when baking so I know what the oven temperature is at all times. I prefer a gas oven over an electric any day, but I have to get used to cooking with the electric oven that's in our apartment.

Someone on ThriftyFun submitted a post of how to bake rounded top muffins and I've been using their suggestion ever since. I place the muffin tins in a 500 degree F oven, then lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes or less.

With the electric oven, my whole wheat muffins were always on the dark side when they finished baking because the oven temperature didn't drop fast enough from 500 to 350 degrees F as printed in the recipe. And many times they were burned on the sides and bottoms when I removed them from the muffin tins to a cooling rack.

So just by accident the other day, I experimented with the electric stove and turned the temperature knob down to 200 degrees F. The oven temperature dropped fast from 500 to 350 degrees, which showed on the oven thermometer. Then I reset the oven knob to 350 degrees F on my stove and finished baking the muffins for 20 minutes. The results were perfect, they weren't over-baked and burnt on the sides or bottoms like they were in the past.

By MCW from Lewiston

I surely appreciate your tip. I, too, have this problem, but had no idea how to rectify it. Will be baking muffins this morning using your method.

This would probably work in a toaster oven too kept to scale. I do most of my small scale baking 8x8, 9x9, muffins, etc. in the toaster oven. Wish they made one big enough to fit a 9x11 in that would fit in the top shelf of my microwave oven cart.

Baking ingredients on a wood bread board.
Baking Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes Food Tips BakingJune 7, 2010
Roast Chicken
Cooking a Turkey in an Electric Roaster Oven
Man cleaning the oven.
Homemade Oven Cleaner Recipes
Electric Blanket
Finding Replacement Cords and Controls for an Electric Blanket
High Cholesterol With Tangerine
Lowering Your Cholesterol