Is it ever acceptable to strike a dog?

Some people I know adopted a pit bull puppy. She is now 7 months old named Cali. One of the people she is with hits her for stuff like pooping in his room, or sometimes just "playing around" slapping her "in jest". Her feeding, watering and pooping schedule is something erratic.

They are depending on one of their girlfriends to come between classes to do the midday walking and feeding because they work from 11 to 7. Sometimes the girlfriend is not able to get there, and I think Cali might be locked in her cage the whole time without food or water. I know they do not pee or poop in their cages, so I assume she might have to hold it in till whenever someone can get her sometimes.

How much time should a pit bull spend outside? How many hours a day TOTAL should they be spending in a crate? Is it ever acceptable to strike a dog? What should the nonviolent owner to to fix this situation? The dog is very nice now, can she turn violent in the future? Thanks.

Kristin from NJ

I think it is okay to hit a dog when you are training them, but what you said doesn't sound too good for the dog. I know there are agencies that you can call and they will actually investigate to see if the animal is being mistreated. It could be punishable with fines and or jail time. I would call a local shelter or clinic and see if they know who you could call.

They need to put the pup on a schedual. Feed him once in the morning then take him out when he is done, and make sure he goes to the bathroom, then feed him again when they get home. This helps not only to regulate his bathroom schedual, it also helps prevent the pup from getting overweight.

they could also try keeping the pup gated in the kitchen if they want to give him more room while they are gone.

It is NEVER acceptable to strike a dog. Hitting them does not make them understand what they are doing wrong. This can cause problems when they become adults, Pit bulls especially. I work at an animal shelter and see many dogs who have problems because they were hit as puppies. Try positive re-inforcement because dogs learn faster that way.

I'm so shocked at the immaturity of these people. They should not have a dog since they obviously know nothing about caring for one. And they aren't responsible enough to even try to care for it. They aren't even there to take care of it when they should be. It's an innocent PUPPY too. Then, on top of all that, they are punishing/hitting the dog for THEIR lack of care. I would try to find a good home for the dog right away, AND call the authorities to have the situation checked out. That is abuse & neglect. I feel so sorry for the poor dog.

There is definitely a difference between one smack on the nose or bottom to reinforce a no (to be used in extreme situations) and "striking" a dog. Alot of times that is out of frustration, anger and no knowledge of how to handle a situation. If the dog is expecting to be hit, he'll be confused and nervous, being more prone to accidents and the cycle will repeat. Try to talk the owners into seeing they don't have time for the pet.

Get this puppy some loving family A.S.A.P hands are made for petting not hitting , please call the animal control in your area and report these people, they are NOT animal people, they do not deserve a puppy ,or a rat, epecially a pit bull, they can and will get mean if mistreated !!!!!!

Just plain NO. NEVER strike a dog or any other animal

It is never acceptable to hit a dog or any other animal. Sounds like these people need to be reported to someone who can investigate. (Humane society, local animal control, ASPCA) Everyone needs to get involved if thay suspect abuse of any kind. These people may just need some guidance on puppy care and training or if they just don't care the puppy needs rescuing.

Have you heard of the Dog Whisperer - Cesar Millan? Recently read his book and answered several questions that we had with being a responsible dog owner.

I agree that it is never acceptable to strike a dog, even during training. And, with a pit bull, you are likely to only increase his naturally tendency toward aggression. One of the sweetest rescue dogs I ever met was a female pit bull, but many have been abused and become aggressive,which has given this breed a bad name. I say call the SPCA on these folks- sounds like they have no business being dog owners.

For me, sometimes striking a dog is not bad if it is not too harsh or too many... it is a way of disciplining your dog... just used it if only nescesary especially if the dog is really a hard-headed one... but not too much just like what the saying is that too much or too less of somethingis bad... i think that striking is never wrong unless it is abused by the owner. People had a different way of showing love to an individual. others show it by not striking a dog while others show it by striking a dog for its well-being.... and this is my way of showing that i love my dog.... i hope you could respect my opninion.... thank you very much! ^^

I can see what you mean, woopy...I have had to smack my dog on the rump for mounting a child.....and that taught him quick. If you watch dogs in a pack, especially mom and litter, they do reprimand by butting with the muzzle and nipping. Positive reinforcement is always best, but not the answer for a safety issue or power struggle! I do not agree with what these people in the main post, though. Some dogs like to wrestle and play rough, but should not be taught to fear or attack hands, because that can turn into an ugly situation (and the dog won't know better...)

I have a 4 month old pitbull puppy. Her name is Isabella. She is very sweet. I want to know the best way to train and discipline her. I read online that you should use positive reinforcement. So when she pees inside I just pick her up and bring her outside. I never spank her or pop her nose....even though sometimes I want to. She also is biting and jumping ALOT. I know she is just excited and playing, but it hurts. I need advice. I really want to do this the right way. I have heard terrible things about this breed, so I want to take every precaution to make sure she is loved and kind.

I hope by now this issue has been resolved. The only time a dog should be hit is if it's biting you and you are in a desperate situation.

It never ceases to amaze me that people aquire pets but don't take the time to train them or get them trained properly. I always blame the owners, never the pets.

It is never ok to hit a dog. Period.

Dru

Pets Dogs Training AdviceMay 11, 2006
someone smoking
Dealing with Smoking at Family Gatherings
Houses Wrecked by Tornado
Preparing for a Tornado
A woman eating an apple with her baby.
Diet and Exercise After Pregnancy
A man having dental work done.
Root Canal Advice
🎄