Removing Deep Scratches in Car's Paint

I ran into a barbed wire fence and have deep scratches in the paint job of my car. My car is only two years old and now it looks terrible. Can anyone tell me how to fix these scratches?

By gypsynana from Vancouver, BC

Maybe they would come out or be less obvious with a buffer.

Cars now come with two coats of paint. The first coat is the color coat and then a top coat of clear urethane is applied. When the scratch is to the top coat then it can be buffed out with products such as 3M part number 5928. You can also sand the urethane with 2000 or 3000 grit sandpaper.

However, if the scratch is into the color coat then it will have to be repainted. A auto parts store that sells paint products or a body shop will give you another opinion. I used to sell sandpaper, compounds, adhesives and paint products to body shops.

Go to a dealership for the make of car you own and get a small tube of matching paint from the parts department. You can use a toothpick, q-tip or the applicator tip of a paint pen (they also usually have those as well). This should help until you're ready for a full paint job.

Consumer Advice Cars AdviceMay 9, 2009
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Green paint on a brick wall.
Cleaning Paint from Brick
Large Turkey in Deep Fryer
Deep Frying a Turkey
🎄
🍂