Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Category Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes with Chives
Mashed potatoes are often added to other ingredients to make delicious meals. This page contains recipes using mashed potatoes.

My dad found a recipe like this on the back of an instant mashed potato box like 15 years ago, he modified it, passed it to me, and I have modified it myself. It is so yummy!

• 4 large chicken breasts
  • 1 stick of melted butter (you can also use 2 large eggs, beaten)
  • 2 cups of instant mashed potato flakes
  • 1 tsp. of the following; sea salt, fresh ground black pepper, parsley, oregano, and garlic powder
  • a pinch of paprika for color
  • about 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese (the kind in the container)

Directions:

Take the salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, and cheese and mix it into the mashed potato flakes until well blended. Dip the chicken breast in the butter (or egg) get it all coated, then dip it into the flakes, make sure you cover it really well. Repeat for all of the chicken.

Set oven at 350 degrees F. Put chicken on a tin foil wrapped cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is done. I serve mine with some home made mashed potatoes and corn on the cob, it is also very good with Mac and Cheese.

Enjoy!

Servings: 2-4
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By alex from Lake City, MI

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar divided
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1 cup hot mashed or riced potatoes (no milk, butter or seasoning added)
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup baking cocoa
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
Fluffy White Frosting:
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tsp. light corn syrup
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Add egg yolks; beat well. Add potatoes and mix thoroughly. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and milk, beating until smooth. Stir in vanilla and nuts. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.

Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch baking pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool. Combine first 5 frosting ingredients in top of a double boiler. Beat with electric mixer for 1 minute. Place over boiling water; beat constantly for 7 minutes, scraping sides of pan occasionally. Remove from heat. Add vanilla; beat 1 minute. Frost cake. 16-20 servings.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Try making this delicious soup using those leftover mashed potatoes. It is a certain family pleaser. This is a guide about leftover mashed potato soup.

Leftover Mashed Potato Soup

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

If you have any left over mashed potatoes in your fridge, why not make up a scone mixture incorporating the potato. I sometimes put parsley into mine as well. They can be either cooked in the oven or cooked in the fry pan.

By pthere from New Zealand

This is a delicious way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, or just cook some up and make this new muffin addiction. This page contains a recipe for potato cheese muffins.

Potato Muffins

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about mashed potato salad. The texture of this salad may not be to everyone's liking, but it is a delicious alternative to the traditional chunky potato salad.

Mashed Potato salad in a white bowl with blue rim.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making mashed potato waffles. Mashed potatoes seem to be a staple food this time of year. The next time you have some left over, try turning them into delicious waffles.

Mashed Potato Waffles

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Great way to use leftover mashed potatoes.

Cook peeled potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain, mash until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat until light and fluffy. Cool. Cover and place in refrigerator.

I am looking for a recipe for leftover mashed potatoes besides potato cakes.

Debbie from Las Vegas

Best Answer

My Aunt use to make these when I was a kid, many moons ago. These were so yummy. They taste just like that round chocolate bar "Pep". Here in Canada they sell it in Green and silver foil. She would leave some of the filling white but then divide up 2 more bowls and add green and pink food colouring to make them look pretty when they were broke open.

Chocolate Covered Peppermint Patties

* 1 cup mashed potatoes

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 2 tablespoons melted butter

* 2 teaspoons peppermint extract

* 8 cups confectioners' sugar

* 8 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate

* 2 tablespoons shortening

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, salt, butter, and peppermint extract. Gradually mix in confectioners' sugar; mix in enough to make a workable dough, between 6 and 8 cups.

2. Knead slightly, and roll into cherry-size balls. Flatten balls to form patties. Arrange on sheets of wax paper, and allow to dry overnight.

3. Place chocolate and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Dip patties in melted chocolate, and let cool on wax paper.

Best Answer

Leftover Mashed Potato Soup

Great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Perfect for a light lunch or serving with sandwiches. Enjoy! SERVES 3 -4

Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter or bacon drippings

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms

14 1/2 ounces chicken broth

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika

2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (leftover is great)

1/2 cup cheddar cheese

2 scallions, finely chopped

3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

2 tablespoons sour cream

2 tablespoons cream or half-and-half

Directions

1 Cook bacon, and set aside to crumble.

2 In a large saucepan, cook onion in butter or dripping until softened.

3 Add chopped mushrooms and cook until tender and onion is golden.

4 Add chicken broth, salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring to mix.

5 Blend in mashed potatoes, stirring until lumps are gone.

6 Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and add cheddar cheese, stirring until it is melted and smooth.

7 Mix in scallions, crumbled bacon, sour cream, and cream/half and half, stirring to heated through but not boiling.

Best Answer

Cook Time1 hr

Easy

4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 medium onion, diced

3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced

1 rib celery, sliced

1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon kosher salt

3/4 teaspoon dried oregano

3 tablespoons tomato paste

1 pound ground beef

1/4 cup canned low sodium beef broth

1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Freshly ground black pepper

4 cups Mashed Potatoes, recipe follows

1/4 cup grated Parmesan, optional

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Directions

Heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, half the salt, and oregano. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook until mushrooms are soft and tomato paste has turned brick red, about 8 minutes more. Stir in the beef, the broth, the remaining salt, the Worcestershire, and some pepper, breaking up any large clumps of meat, cook until the meat is no longer pink, about 3 minutes.

Transfer the meat and vegetables to a 2-quart oval casserole dish and spread the mashed potatoes over the top, leaving a 1/4-inch boarder around the edge. Make a decorative pattern on the top of the potatoes, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese, if using, and dot with the remaining tablespoon of butter. Bake until potatoes brown and the juices bubble around the edge, about 40 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Copyright 2005 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved.

Mashed Potatoes:

1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled quartered

2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning

3/4 cup whole milk

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Freshly ground black pepper

Put the potatoes in a saucepan with cold water to cover by about 1-inch and add the salt. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes. At the same time, combine the milk and butter in a small saucepan and warm over low heat until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.

Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan. Toss the potatoes over medium heat until dry. Add the heated milk mixture and mash the potatoes until just slightly chunky, then stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Rated: 5 stars out of 5

Best Answer

First of all I want to give you a good mashed potato recipe:

About 5# peeled potatoes, quartered and boiled til soft.

Mash and add:

8 oz. cream cheese

1 stick butter

1 teaspoon garlic or onion salt or both

1 teaspoon seasoned salt

Add enough milk so it is the consistency you like (I never seem to need the milk).

For leftover mashed potatoes I mix the potatoes with:

Bacon (bake in oven and crumble)

Sausage (I use the kind that just needs heating otherwise fry sausage first and cut up)

Cheese (any kind shredded)

Onion (flakes or chopped)

Green Pepper (chopped)

Or anything else you can think of and bake at 350 for approximately a half an hour or until heated through. Serve with any meal as you would mashed potatoes. My family likes these more than mashed potatoes so I never have to worry about leftover mashed potatoes (I actually plan to have leftovers so I can make this).

I'd like a recipe (something other than Shepherd's Pie) to use up some leftover mashed potatoes. Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Hands down, one of the best things to do with left over spuds!

POTATO FUDGE

3 squares (3 oz) unsweetened chocolate

3 tablespoons butter

1/2 cup unseasoned, mashed potatoes (at room temp)

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 teaspoon salt

3-3/4 cups (1 pound) powdered sugar

2 teaspoons milk or soy milk

Almonds, finely chopped

Melt chocolate and butter together in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir in mashed potatoes, vanilla, and salt.

Sift powdered sugar into large bowl.

Add chocolate mixture and mix well. Mixture will be slightly dry and crumbly.

If necessary, add milk to make a dough that can be kneaded.

Turn out on a board and knead until smooth.

Dust board with powdered sugar if necessary.

Shape mixture into two rolls, about one inch in diameter.

Roll in chopped almonds.

Wrap in wax paper and chill.

Cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.

Makes 4 dozen.

Best Answer

Quick hearty potato soup

serves 4

Warm (about) 2 cups of milk. add 2 1/2 - 3 t. boullion powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste. Add any herbs you like. You can alsoadd and melt some cheese at this stage. Add up to 1 c. leftover mashed potatoes. Blend all & warm to desired temperature. Pour into serving bowls & top with a pat of butter, a little paprika, a dusting of pepper (?)

You can make this as thick or as thin as you like. You can make an easy children's meal this way by adding a little crumbled meat or sliced hot dogs and some veggies.

What can I do with left over mashed potatoes? I always seem to have plenty left over (I guess I make too many) and I hate to just throw them away.

Cheri from Garland, TX

Answers:

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Don't throw them away! Just put them in freezer bags and freeze. I do this all the time. Just remove from bag - microwave for 2 minutes - stir- microwave another 2 minutes. Or make Shepard's Pie. Brown a pound of ground beef (or any ground meat) with onion. Drain and place on bottom of casserole dish. Drain a can of corn- place that on top of meat. Put mashed potatoes evenly on top-add a couple spots of butter. Bake at 350 for an hour uncovered. This also freezes well! :) (06/19/2007)

By Susan

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Place leftover potatos in a bowl. Add some shredded cheese, sour cream, chives or anything you like. (I also add crumbled bacon). I make a potato pattie out of it and brown lightly in a frying pan and serve with breakfast or a fast snack. My family loves it. (06/19/2007)

By Monica

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Try these:

Potato Fingers: Mix some bacon bits and sauteed , chopped mushrooms into the potatoes. Shape into fingers. Brush with beaten egg then coat with a mixture of fine bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese. Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake uncovered for 20 minutes.

Seafood Cakes: Mix potatoes with flaked crab or salmon, minced celery, and seafood seasoning(like Old Bay) to taste. Form into patties. Brush with beaten egg then coat with a mixture of fine bread crumbs and fine corn meal(the kind that comes in a little bag, the coarser kind won't stick. You can also use seafood breader, it comes in a little bag.). Put a little oil in a skillet and fry on both sides a few minutes, until they are golden and crusty.

In both of these recipes the amounts you use and the number of servings are up to you. (06/19/2007)

By perfume and powder

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Carol's Skillet Croquettes
leftover mashed potatoes -
about 1/2 to 1 medium onion, grated -
1 can salmon or 1-2 cans tuna fish -
about 4-6 raw eggs -
About 1-2 teaspoon herbs de provence, optional -
a few shakes of Louisiana hot sauce, optional -
one small can of English peas, optional -
Use any other herbs you like -
Salt/pepper to taste (Salt may not be necessary because salmon/tuna is salted.) -
Olive oil or other cooking oil -
Combine all of the above until the salmon/tuna is broken apart and the mixture is somewhat "soupy." Heat your black iron skillet with about 1/4 inch oil. When hot, ladel enough of the potato/salmon/tuna mixture to make a patty-sized portion. Allow to brown on one side, flip, and brown the other side. This is an old-fashioned favorite at our house and is also quite economical. (06/19/2007)

By LouisianaGal

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Potato Cakes

• 2 cups mashed potatoes
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 onion, minced
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. white pepper
  • 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil

PREPARATION:
    Mix together mashed potatoes, beaten egg and onion in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper and stir.
    Over medium heat, heat olive oil in a medium size nonstick frying pan. Drop about 1/4 cup of the potato mixture into the frying pan, patting it into 4 inch circles that are 1/2" thick.

Cook until bottom is browned and crisp, about 3-4 minutes. Carefully turn the patty over and cook the second side until brown and crisp, 3-4 minutes. Serve with ketchup or salsa.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beef-n-Potato roll ups

• 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 8 slices cooked roast beef (about 1/8" thick)
  • 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with garlic, undrained
  • 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

PREPARATION:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small saucepan, sauce onion in olive oil until tender. Stir onions into potatoes, along with milk and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
    Divide the potato mixture among roast beef slices.

Roll up to enclose the potato mixture. Pour 2 Tbsp. tomato sauce in bottom of 3 quart glass baking dish, spread to cover thinly. Place beef rolls in pan, seam side down. Mix diced tomatoes, remaining tomato sauce, basil, salt, and pepper and pour over filled rolls. Cover pan with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until bubbly. Uncover pan and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer until cheese melts. Serves 8

more:
    http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=58996
    http://bigspud.com/
    http://dbeinla.org/toenjoy21.html (06/19/2007)

By LMcCay420

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Mmmm mmmm....great recipes on here :) My favorite way to use left over mashed potatoes is to make them into a potato salad. To this day (and I'm 60), I prefer my Mom's Mashed Potato Salad over chunky style potato salads. Just use the same ingredients that you would in your regular potato salad. (06/19/2007)

By Luvyabye

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

My mom used to make "potatoe pancakes" with leftover mashed potatoes. She would just shape the leftovers into hamburger shaped patties and
    fry them in butter on top of hte stove until warm
    with a little crusty brown goodness on the outside.
    Yum!
    (I never have left over mashed pots -but wish I did!)
    (06/20/2007)

By cheapo

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

I remember this one from when I was a kid many, many years ago:

Peanut Butter - Irish Potato Candy

• 2 (1 lb.) boxes powdered sugar
  • 1/2 c. hot mashed potatoes, drained
  • 1 sm. jar crunchy peanut butter

Mix sifted sugar into potatoes a little at a time by hand. (Don't panic when potatoes liquify as the first sugar is added. This is what it's supposed to do. Just keep adding sugar until it is pastry consistency.) Sprinkle wax paper with additional powdered sugar. Take baseball-sized ball of mixture and roll out like pastry. Spread with peanut butter and roll like a jelly roll. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap; chill and slice.
    Makes 2 rolls.

(06/20/2007)

By Noella

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

I fry my leftovers up for breakfast. That I learned as a kid. (06/20/2007)

By Mythi

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Years ago I used to make this for kids (but adults like it too). Split hotdogs the long way almost all the way through. I like Best's Brand but they are pricey. Stuff split dogs with mashed potatos and sprinkle them with grated chedar cheese. Bake until hot and cheese is melted. Make a salad or serve with veggies. (06/20/2007)

By Caryn from Illinois

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Cottage Pie

Brown some mince(ground beef) with or without onions, add a can of tomatoes, put in a shallow casserole dish, top with the mashed potato, dot of butter optional, bake for 30/45 minutes or so or until cooked through ,

Birds in a Nest

Shape a large heaped spoonful of mashed potato onto a greased baking sheet, and make a shallow hole in the middle with the back of a spoon, dont go right through to the baking tray, it should be an indentation and not a ring, then crack a raw egg into the hollow, and bake in the oven till cooked through

Alternatively put the mashed potato into a piping /icing bag on a large nozzle and pipe onto burgers, pizzas etc and finish under the grill to brown slightly, for a toddler you could heat up a bowl of baked beans and pipe three dots for eyes and a nose and a smiley mouth to make a face

Pigs in a Blanket

Split open some pitta bread, fill with mashed potato and chop cooked sausages in half and poke the cut end into the mashed potato so that the sausages protrude , heat through in the oven or microwave

you could also roll the mashed potato into balls ( coated in flour optional) and freeze and use to thicken watery stews
    v
    You could roll into log shapes and coat in flour, egg and golden breadcrumbs to make potato croquettes they can be baked or fried (06/20/2007)

By cazpumpkin

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Make then into patties and sprinkle the top with garlic salt. Cook them over a low to med low heat, and I find a well seasoned cast iron skillet to work best. Let them brown a while and only flip once. you want the brown crust to stay intact. Brown both sides and a sunny side up egg is great on top. They are also good with left over meatloaf and gravy. Sometimes I put left over peas in the patties. (06/20/2007)

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

I put mine in a gallon freezer bag and smooth it out flat. Get all the air out. Then I keep in the freezer so I can break off as much as I need to use. Most of the time I will use some to thicken gravey, or to flavor some homemade chicken or turkey soup. My daughter and I also like to take mashed potatoes, add some leftover gravy, chopped leftover whatever meat, and a can of corn or other veg, and mix together. Its like a stew only thicker. Sounds gross but its actually very tastey. (06/20/2007)

By kimmcg

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

From the time I was little on, my Scottish Grandma would make lefse with left over potatoes. Just add flour till they get stiff. Roll out on a floured board and cut into triangles...fry in a dry skillet, then butter and roll up and eat (or you can use marmalade on them.) Very good and easy too. (06/20/2007)

By Crafty Chrissy

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

dip potato patties in beaten egg before frying
    or try

Saurkraut Sausage Bake
    1 pound fried and drained pork asusage (roll)
    put in a bread pan and put 1 can of saurkraut on top and then top with mashed potatoes and put in oven (350) until very lighly browned (06/20/2007)

By Lois

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

My husband loved these. To the leftover potatoes, add cubes of cheese or a couple of tblsp. of cream cheese, chopped up onions or green scallions, a tsp of Mrs. Dash, a little milk and 1 egg. Mix all thoroughly, form into patties and fry til brown on both sides in a little butter and olive oil. (06/20/2007)

By ruthvalleygal

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

If you don't really NEED left over-potatoes, just try to better judge the amount you need, usually by trial and error. I peel one potato per adult, and 1/2 per child, which seems to work out great.

If they love
    how you cook/season them and want seconds, add an extra one per adult that eats secons. Simple? Are you a cook in a restaurant? I find that the secret to the best creamed potatoes is coconut oil, and plenty of black pepper, but light on the salt. God bless you. : ) (06/20/2007)

By lyndagayle62

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Check out some old cookbooks or online recipe sites. There are recipes for mashed potato cakes (even the real kind that you frost), potato breads, or how about Italian knocchi (cavatalli), dumplings, or filling for Perogies? (06/21/2007)

By susanmajp

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

My grandmother used to make tater tots out of them. Since they were already seasoned (and homemade). She'd roll them in crushed corn flakes and sprinkle with salt when cooked. They owned a small deep fryer--and they were delicious. (06/21/2007)

By kghsave

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

I put them in a good sized saucepan, add milk (depending on how thick you want the "potato soup"), chopped onions, about 2-3 tbls. of butter; heat and enjoy! Also, I make potato patties: form into patties, fry in skillet with oil or butter! Tasty! (06/21/2007)

By Kathy

Recipes Using Mashed Potatoes

Use them with fresh herbs and tinned tuna to top a tuna bake. Flake your fish and add herbs breadcrumbs and season well. Heat this mixture up in a tin of mushroom soup, preferably with a few sliced mushrooms. Put your mixture in a heatproof casserole and put a layer of mashed potato on top. Brown under the grill -add cheese if you like. It's very good! (06/23/2007)

By Mary.

• Comment Was this helpful? Yes