Ordinary Box As A Gift

contest winner icon

Here's a great way to save money on gifts and get the kids involved too. This particular gift idea is so easy and says "I love you" so well. Make several of these keepsakes and give them to grandparents, aunts, uncles, and anyone who needs a smile.

The best, inexpensive Christmas gift I ever received was from my daughter when she was in elementary school. The class took small empty boxes (toothpaste, jewelry gift boxes, etc.), wrapped them in wrapping paper, then tied them up with curling ribbon. Attached to the box was this note:

I took an ordinary box
As empty as can be
I filled it with a special gift
And wrapped it carefully.

But please don't ever open it
Just leave the ribbon tied
And hold it tightly near your heart
Because my love for you is inside!

I loved this gift and will keep it FOREVER. This would be a good class project for elementary school students or for a Sunday School class.

By MomOf1 from Wilkesboro, NC

A number of years ago, I purchased a couple of these. They weren't really boxes, but small rectangular pieces of thin plywood (you could probably use foam core). They had magnets glued to the back and were used as refrigerator magnets. I always thought that they'd be cheap and easy to make for fundraising, Sunday or VBS, Senior citizen centers, School projects, etc.

My daughter made one of those when she was in first grade as a Mother's Day gift. I kept it. For years we have given it back and forth usually at a time when one of us needs a little special lift. It is one of my most prized posessions. My daughter is now 24 years old.

I got the very same gift from my daughter when she was 11 years old, she is 26 now. It is so precious to me, especially as she lives in Calgary Alberta now.Daughters are so wonderful and thoughtful, aren't they?

Donna from Victoria B.C. Canada

What a cool idea. My kids will be making these for grandparents this year! Thanks for the idea.

Denise Oliveri

Garden and Hearth

Kids Crafts Editor

Feature Writer - Parenting Tweens

Thanks for sharing, I am going to do this with my daughters class this year, she is in 2nd grade. This goes to show again, that the cost of something is not neccessarily the value of it. I Love it!

This is so precious!!!! Thanks!

Thank you so much for this idea. I was needing something that I could do for several friends but that wouldn't cost a whole lot. This would be wonderful. Thanks again.

Gifts That Cost Nothing
Gifts That Cost Nothing
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalOctober 3, 2007
Fishing gear.
Making a Fishing Gift Basket
Gift Card Box
Making a Gift Card Box
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding