Saving Money on Apple Sauce

Tips for Saving Money on Apple Sauce as suggested by the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas below.

Make Your Own

If you find a good buy on apples, make your own. I particularly like making my own from apples that are a little past their prime. I put them in a pot with a little water without peeling or coring. I do cut out any bad places. Cook on low for awhile until they are cooked down and mushy. I then put them through my food mill, peelings, stems, seeds, everything, and very little is left after processing. (What is left goes in the compost.) I freeze my applesauce in one cup containers and it stays nice and fresh.

If apples are expensive, I buy the big containers at Sam's. After having a jar opened a couple of days in the refrigerator, I freeze what's left in one cup portions, or divvy it up in lunch size containers for my husband's lunch and freeze it. One of my friends says she never buys the big containers because it always molds before her family can eat it all and I told her to freeze it!

By Susan in Omaha

Local Orchards

Every fall I go to the local orchards in my area. I ask for "seconds" which are about half the price of "firsts". Nothing wrong with them, just not real pretty looking. I usually get three bushels of two or three types - Jonnygold, MacIntosh, and Jonathan. One bushel yields 14-17 quarts. No sugar added and I freeze it after it is processed. Start researching now so you are ready for next fall!

By Karen Sue

Add Fruit For Flavor

Make your own flavored applesauce by adding fruit, jam or jelly and spices like cinnamon.

By Jantoo

Buy In Bulk

If you're going to buy your apple sauce, buy the big jars instead of the individual sizes. You can then parcel them out to individual size, and/or add flavorings to suit your taste.

By Bailegirl

Feel free to post your ideas below.

Make Your Own Applesauce

I love the idea.Thanks for the tip!

If you add cinnamon and vanilla to apple sauce, you can get close to the taste of apple butter. It is much lower in carbs & calories than apple butter, and it is great mixed with cottage cheese.

Apples at Market
Saving Money on Apples
Consumer Advice Shopping Food & KitchenMay 16, 2008
Peanut Sauce Recipes, Pork satay with peanut sauce dip.
Peanut Sauce Recipes
Chopsticks Picking up Piece of Teriyaki Chicken
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce Recipes
Homemade pizaa sauce.
Pizza Sauce Recipes
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider, Two glasses of sparkling apple cider.
Make Your Own Sparkling Apple Cider
🎉
🎄