Ideas for Hanging a Vintage Unframed Mirror

I have a vintage, heart shaped, beveled mirror with no frame and no way to hang it. It has 3 shelves and is at least 5 pounds. I've called hardware stores and glass stores and no one has an idea what is the safest and best way to hang it. I don't want a permanent way to hang it, but I guess, a strong, safe glue to hold something that can hook to a hook on the wall. I would really hate for it to fall and break!

Thanks for your help!

By bMillie from Williamsburg, VA

Use toggle bolts and you'll have no problem!

The silvering on the back of an old vintage mirror is not strong enough for small spot gluing. Get a piece of 3/8" (10 mm) "one side good" plywood, trace the outline of the mirror on it and cut it about an inch smaller than the outline. A $1.99 coping saw will be slow, but will work fine. Sand the edges nice and both sides and smooth and clean all dust off it with a damp t-shirt. If the t-shirt snags or doesn't slide smoothly, sand some more in long strokes to avoid grooves and dips. Clean the back of the mirror gently with Windex (or similar) and let both the wood and the mirror dry thoroughly.

Get some carpenter's glue or Elmer's white glue or similar cheap glue like that. Not any expensive glass glue! You are not dealing with glass, but ancient paint covering and protecting the silvering. Lay the mirror upside down onto a big, soft pillow.

Spread the glue evenly on the good side of the wood with a spatula or piece of cardboard, then lay it on the back of the mirror. Slide it about for 10 seconds then line it up so that there is the same margin to the edge all around. Carefully weigh it down with some books.

Clean glue that has been squished out with a wet rag.

After drying overnight, you can glue a simple cloth-and-ring picture hanger to the plywood, or screw on a saw-tooth brass picture hanger with small 3/8" wood screws.

That method will distance the mirror 3/8" from the wall, just like they do it in museums. And it will be just as safe and solid.

Have fun!

Kateh09, how can she used toggle bolts when there is no way she can attach anything to the back. I think Webby's idea is the best way.

Actually those mirrors were not meant to be hung. They were placed on dresser tops to protect the surface and to be decorative. Hair brushes and face cream jars were placed on them and the dresser did not get scratched.

Another idea is to make a nice frame as Webby suggested, except make it larger. Then attach the mirror to the frame with standard mirror clips. I have a large rectangular mirror hung like this, with plastic clips that hold the mirror in place.

You can then either screw the frame directly into the wall, or put standard picture hangers on the back, and hang the mirror just like a picture.

I would try to use a good plate hanger. The kind that clip onto the edges of the mirror and on the backside have a coil, spring to stretch the arms and on the back is also a hook. They make them in sizes that can hold heavy valueable decorative plates.

I am quite surprised that hardware store and glass store employees had no idea what to use! :-o There are plastic mirror hooks (I've seen metal ones too) at all hardware stores! They are packaged in a box and come with screws. There are usually about six in a package. They will also work for a beveled mirror that is heart shaped as long as the mirror is not thicker than the plastic or metal piece where the mirror fits into. And I've used them a few times over the past decades to be able to assure you they will work for a heart shape!

You mention it has shelves so I would be sure to weigh the mirror and shelves (and keep in mind what the weight of things are that might go on to the shelves) and then buy the proper size mirror hangers (I am pretty sure the box says the weight possible). You can also get the little plastic pieces that fit on the sharp end of the screw that goes in the wall for extra durability. Also, you don't mention the size of this mirror so you might need more than one package for safe hanging. One more for safety is using the same size, but longer screws than what comes in the package plus the plastic piece for the screw portion that goes into the wall that I mentioned before.

I just tried to find a picture of them online, but couldn't find what I am trying to explain and then I remembered that these are what help secure the top portion of the mirror in my apartment bathroom and that mirror is about two feet high and four feet in length. So, I just grabbed my camera and unscrewed a couple of the six globe light bulbs (so there wouldn't be too much glare) and was able to get a picture of what one looks like for you :-)

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AdviceAugust 12, 2010
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
shell mirrors
Making a Seashell Mirror
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains