School Snacks

A little story of when my daughter was younger. I would now and then make her some peanut butter crackers. No big deal. Before you know it she was coming home with all types of junk snacks. She was trading her crackers for them. And saving herself 2 to eat. So I told her that i didn't want her trading for snacks. I'll make some extra ones for her friends and to only eat what i give her. It might not sound frugal to be making it for the others but they are a frugal snack.

By LRP from Lowell, Mass

I grew up having peanut butter and crackers for snacks....even on trips. It was easy for my Mom to bring a stack of saltines, a knife and a jar of peanut butter and she'd make them up in the car. I still like them and our children do too, in fact, I just sent peanut butter and crackers in my son's lunchbox today!

Yes, Mom, sometimes snacks look better on the other side of the room (fence). It mattered not what my mom did, food or cash, I still LOVED trading and so did my friends. It was a fun ritual that few parents could control. Believe it or not, I NEVER got

bologna at home, so I craved the smell of fresh

bologna sandwiches way back then. The lunchroom

"hot" meals were mostly canned and poorly seasoned, repeating every 5 days, you know. Don't be too hard on the children. They will finally get tired of the only OTHER choices and grow up ANYWAY! LOL

My SON, however, was so full of both food and environmental allergies/food sensitivities that EVERY

THING I was sending in his snacks/lunches turned out to be taboo for him. He really had it rough until he began to outgrow and desensitize them as an

adult. (He was given "canned formula" as an infant,

now suspected to cause these things when they

grow up.)

Don't fret too much. It could be MUCH worse, dear heart. Always bless them, give them a kiss, and a promise that you will try to give them the best that

you can afford and think of, IF they will do their part in cooperating with you. It MIGHT work, right? LOL

I never thought of peanut butter and crackers, until now. I will try it out. I think Ritz crackers would work best. I usually pack crackers but with sharp cheese squares and ham or turkey. Thanx. xoxo

Beware sending peanut butter or nuts in your kid's school lunches. Peanut allergies are creating a lot of problems for the kids (and teachers) who have them. Some will only get a little aspirating if they ingest nuts themselves, but some people have it so bad that just smelling it on someone's breath from three or four feet away can send them into anaphylaxis, and can in some cases be fatal. Many schools are going nut-free these days because of it, thank goodness.

Parenting School LunchesAugust 30, 2006
Middle School Survival Kit
Making a Middle School Survival Kit
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
A box of Goldfish pretzels snacks.
Saving Money on Diet Snacks
🎄