Federal Law Regarding Refills On Vet Meds

I was just told by my vet that I would no longer be able to get the medicine we need for our pet's eyes without coming in for an exam. He said it was a federal law. Does anyone know what federal law it is?

I have a chronic illness but my doctor has never told me I couldn't get my meds without specific exam because of a federal law.

Linda from Mpls, MN

For veterinarians to prescribe any prescription medication there has to be a recent veterinary-client-patient relationship. This is why some of the internet pharmacies are getting in trouble because they have never seen the pet they are giving medications to. So the FDA is cracking down on internet pharmacies and even veterinarians that are just "refilling" medicines without even seeing the animal for several years. I can't find the exact federal law, you would probably need to talk to a lawyer, but here is some gibberish that talks a little about it.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casec ... v/parts/a/sections/section_360b.html

The veterinarian is just doing what is best for your pet and what is legal.

If it's an "Antibiotic" then that's the new law. If it's NOT antibiotics, then I don't know what they're talking about!

* BUT, you can just go to a feed store in your area & buy what you need, OR you can buy your pet meds online. Just Google "Pet Meds".

(It may very well be "GOOD for your pet" but these days so many are just scraping by, do you choose between a vet visit or food? or staying warm?)

I think it is another way for vets to jack up prices. I quit going unless needed. I did my own pets shots and got heart worm from tractor supply they have all that stuff there! No problems ever with our dogs /cats at the farm!

The laws are changing for several types of drugs--we can no longer give our own rabies injections like we used to be able to.

Also, this law is to protect people who get meds from the vet than use them for themselves rather then the pet. This sometimes happens with eye drops.

Don't just buy them from anyone on-line. Just because they're there & look legit & have the necessary quality doesn't mean it's true.

I also have a chronic illness. My doctor has me come into her office for a checkup every three or four months. Otherwise, she cannot give me refills on my prescriptions. I believe it is the law. However, the one med that I take is a controlled substance. At any rate, I believe it would be unethical for a physician to prescribe meds without seeing the patient. Maybe they no longer need to take them or there is another one that is newer and the med should be changed. How else would they know to make that decision. also, I think its good for them to check to see if anything else has developed.

For humans, the law states that a physician must see a patient yearly in order to subscribe a specific medication. A family/regular doctor will often take notes about a patient's problems as you see him throughout the year to fulfill this.

Vets may have similar restrictions, I'm not sure. I do know that vets are not obligated by law to write a prescription for the patient to have filled mail order, web, or another place. They can refuse to give you anything unless you buy the prescription from them, and they can charge anything they want. If you insist, most will write a prescription out, but charge you extra for it. There are no laws restraining them--If MDs can't get away with this, how can a vet? Their excuse is that you don't know what you're getting when you buy ovet the web. However, reputable places like Pet meds buy from the same places that stock veterinarian offices, require you to have a written prescription, call the vet's office to verify that prescription, and hire a local vet to buy prescriptions and sell them through. These rules also go for flea and tick medications.

I personally think someone should take the vets to court to stop their practices. As consumers, we pay for their services and should be able to buy the prescriptions anyplace we want. If an MD can't tell us where to buy our meds, why should our vet? And why should they be able to decide an the prices we must pay for our pets medications? Our economy is built on competition. Yet, they act like little gods trying to control our freedoms, and there is no law to stop them from doing it.

Yes, this is not only a law, but it is also practicing good medicine. A veterinarian would be negligent if he/she prescribed medication for your pet without first examining it. Athough it seems like an inconvenience, exams ensure that your pet is recieving appropriate diagnosis and treatment. Yes, it can get expensive, but it is part of the responsibility of animal ownership.

The veterinarian is prudent to insist on this. Eyes can change really quickly - sometimes obviously and sometimes more subtly. You could discuss with your vet about the frequency of rechecks and how much you can buy at one time. It will work a lot better if you do this in person at an appointment. With some eye conditions you will be able to space out the rechecks more as time goes on and the eye has been stable for a while. Good luck. I'm sure your veterinarian would be more than happy to explain to you why he needs to do rechecks - and it would be worthwhile for you to hear him/her out.

My personal opinion on this is another way for vets to make money off of you. My dog has seizures. I was told last month that I couldn't get any more meds for her unless I bring her in for a yearly exam. They said that after that I wouldn't have to do anything for a year and she could get her meds. I brought her in, they checked her heart and took her temp. After the exam and getting her meds it was near $100. I just called yesterday to order her meds and they told me that I couldn't get the meds unless I brought her in for a blood test. Why did I go in last month?

For them to collect the office visit fee and now I get to go in for another office visit fee and a blood test fee. They got us, what are we going to do, let our pet die? I asked what happens if I can't afford the blood test, are you not going to give my dog her meds so she can seize and die? I didn't get any answer. So I got the blood test and it came back normal, just fine after another $150. I still think they like to make us come back for the money.

Pets HealthApril 4, 2008
Gifted Money
Paying Taxes on Gifted Money
hand soap dispenser
Refilling Hand Soap Dispensers
Headstones on Memorial Day
Celebrating Memorial Day
🎄