TroubleshootingComputers

Trouble Installing Seagate Driver for External Hard Drive

How do I install Seagate driver software? I installed my Seagate external hard drive ST3160026 easily the first time. When I tried to do it again because I changed computers, the installation wizard did not come out. I cannot install the software. Would it be because I connected the drive and the computer one step too soon? Please someone, help.

By ZiZi from Newton, MA

Answers

What operating systems are you using? For Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and 99% of all Linux distributions, you should not need to install any software for a USB connected external hard-drive.

When you connect an external hard-drive to the USB port, open Explorer, or what-ever file-manager you use, and you should see a new drive letter - for example, if you just have one hard-drive and a DVD/CD drive, these would be (for Windows) C and D, respectively. The external hard-drive would then probably be E.

The installation software is usually just a fancy file-manager application. But if you want to use it, or need it, install it first, then connect the external hard-drive. If you don't have the installation software any more, you should be able to find it here:

http://www.seag  pport/downloads/