Browsing: Getting Rid of Hard Water Stains

Remove Hard Water Deposits from Stemware

How do I get calcium deposits off my beer and wine glasses?

By Elsie

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Vinegar will remove hard water deposits.

June 22, 2010 Flag

How do I remove hard water deposits from stemware?

By andyandotcanup from Independence, MO

Answers:

Put a few inches of water in a large bowl or kitchen sink. Add a few inches of distilled vinegar. Soak glasses for 10 minutes, remove, rinse immediately, then dry. If spots are not gone, you will know right away. In this case, place them back in water/vinegar a bit longer and repeat the ending steps, drying completely. This should help. (08/23/2009)

By dashman2002

I would use straight vinegar, or even CLR. CLR and vinegar do not hurt glass. I am not sure about lead crystal, so if these are very expensive crystal stemware, you might try googling for some cleaning info about that. However, I suspect if it is not, then vinegar or CLR will do the trick.

If this is a deposit that forms when they are in the dishwasher, you can pour a cup or so of vinegar in the last rinse load, and that should help prevent the problem. I had to do that in one house we lived in that had very hard water. (08/23/2009)

By louel53

Ahh, the hard water in Missouri! Well, I use distilled vinegar in the rinse-aid dispenser in the dishwasher and this prevents those stains. Try mixing a bit of baking soda and distilled vinegar to remove those spots. (08/29/2009)

By meoowmom

August 20, 2009 Flag

How do you remove hard water deposits from stemware?

Marilyn from Shell Knob, MO

Answers:

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Stemware

Try a paper towel and white vinegar. The vinegar smell will dissipate as it dries.

Good Luck!
Rebekah (11/01/2005)

By Madelynnsmama

Easier still; fill the glass to above the mark with plain vinegar, let stand overnight. If the mark hasn't dissolved fully, give it another day. I bought a gorgeous crystal vase at a thrift store for about 4 dollars that had a similar stain, overnight and the mark was gone! (11/01/2005)

Even easier, just fill the sink with water, pour in a glug of vinegar (maybe a quart or less?), put in the glassware and let it soak a bit. Then just wipe the scum off. We have incredibly hard water and I clean the film off our glasses every few months (well, maybe more often if company is coming and I want to impress them). (11/01/2005)

By Mary

First, I found that the dishwasher leaves a lot of hard water spots so I now wash all my glassware by hand.
When I do find hard water spots, I use Lime-Away in a spray bottle. A very small amount sprayed on the spot usually does a pretty good job. (11/02/2005)

By Doris

Fill the stemmed piece with vinegar diluted with a little water and let stand about 20 minutes. Wash and dry. (11/02/2005)

By Beth

I have hard water as well, when my dishwasher is on the rinse cycle I pour a little vinegar in it and I have no hard water spots. A lot easier than washing by hand! (11/04/2005)

By Jennie

Hard Water Stains
Getting Rid of Hard Water Stains
Home and Garden Cleaning GlassJune 22, 2010
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Shiney faucets and clean tub.
Cleaning Lime Stains from a Bathtub
Water Heater
Removing Calcium Deposits in a Water Heater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 2, 2016 at 11:11:30 PM on 10.0.0.70 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.