Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Boston terrier with Gas

I have a 3 year old Boston Terrier and she has become increasingly gassy over the past few months. It's so nasty, it could knock you over. I don't know how to express the glands nor is that something I think I want to do myself! Are there any other options?

Pamela from Illinois

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By boston babe (Guest Post)11/23/2008

My 8 month old Boston Terrier "Bella" has major gas.
So bad it will chase you out of the room. She does not eat table food just doggy food only. I think its a Boston thing. I had another Boston Terrier 8 years ago and the same gassy thing. Its in their genes!

RE: Boston terrier with Gas

By Sue (Guest Post)06/20/2008

That's just how Botons are. Try Nutro sensitive stomach food. It's been a been help for my Boston.

By Heather (Guest Post)02/12/2008

I have a Boston Terrier too and he has very bad gas, I have tried different foods and do not feed my dog any table scraps. I was also looking for suggestions on this topic and thats how I found this web site. I think I will try a few of the ideas posted by some of the others above.

By suzi_homemaker01 (Guest Post)01/30/2008

I had a Boston terrier and I can personally vouch for the awful gas! Giving him/her chlorophyll tablets help a lot. I bought mine at the GNC store. Of course they turn the poop dark green, but does help!

By Annie Rios Hill [12]01/29/2008

The thing I have heard about dog gas is
the feeding bowl and location not what is in it.

Put the bowl on a footstool or small box so dog's
head and neck do not have to bend too much as the
air intake while eating is affected. You could try the
small box or something you have in your home to see if
your dog will eat the food off the higher food stand
BEFORE you rush out and spend lots of $$ on the high
food stands that they sell at stores.
Also some dogs try to eat while laying on the floor
again not a good idea for gas.
Good luck

By Lynn Marler [39]01/29/2008

Unfortunately, what the others have said is true: Bostons are prone to gas since they have those "shoved-in" noses and have to breathe through their mouths somewhat and therefore swallow a lot of air. And it gets worse as they age, which could be why yours has just now started having the problem. We had a Staffordshire Terrier, different breed I know, but she also had that shoved-in nose and also had a gas problem all her life until we switched her food to a lamb-and-rice-meal brand. The only meat was lamb and the only grain was rice and it made all the difference in the world. So not sure if it was the wheat she was allergic to in the other foods or the chicken or what, but it really made a difference, stopped the gas completely. Good luck!

By kelly01/29/2008

My vet also says Boston's are naturally gassy and I just switched foods three days ago to an organic food and he still has the same issue...I have 2 Shar pei and they don't have gas issues and none of them get table scraps just dog food.

By Sally E. Greer (Guest Post)01/29/2008

This is the results of something she is eating, stop the table scraps, if you dont feed those to her change her dog food to a different kind that is more digestible. Read the bags of various foods and some will say they are more digestible, of course they are more expensive, but what is price compared to what you are going through.

By Gail (Guest Post)01/29/2008

Yes, yes, yes, that is just the "Boston Way" With our dog Capone, we kid him by saying that he has a "green fog" around him. I even remember back to the one I had as a child (in the 60's) and she had the exact same problem.

By D (Guest Post)01/28/2008

Since the dog's problem has increased; look carefully at EVERYTHING the dog has been eating in the last few months whether or not you've given it to them. What seems like a tiny scrap of a snack could be making your home an unpleasant place to be! :)

That includes vegetables. They can give pets worse gas than you'd imagine.

The name of the food is irrelevant. You do want to pay careful attention to the foods and go through an elimination process to see what makes the problem better or worse. Compare the ingredients on the food when you notice a change and look for foods that eliminate the ingredients that make the problem worse.

Seems tedious but it's what you've got to do. Since you said the problem was worsening you really need to look hard at the changes in the last few months; no matter how small they might seem and start from there.

Also, I'd look up some boston terrier groups and ask them what they've heard about the problem to possibly give you a starting point.

By JENNIFER01/26/2008

Actually that breed of dog just has bad gas. A really good friend of mine has three Boston's and all three of them pass horrible gas, the vet told her it was the breed of dog, something to do with their digestive system. I know thats not good news for you, however the febreeze candles work well. LOL

By LuvMyGingerKids [45]01/25/2008

Gas and anal glands are two different things (also two different odors) If she is "scooting" and you notice a musky odor, then she'll need her anal glands expressed. A veterinarian or a groomer can do this for you.

1. Have you changed her diet recently? Added anything?

2. What kind of dog food are you feeding? Avoid dog foods sold in grocery stores, WalMart, etc. Feed the brands that are sold in pet stores. I feed Innova but Canidae, Wellness, Royal Canin, etc. are also good brands.

http://www.squidoo.com/dog-food-comparison
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/index.php

3. Did she get into something she shouldn't have?

4. Check with her breeder and ask for recommendations wrt the gas, dog food, etc.

Hope this helps.

By joan pecsek [88]01/25/2008

Maybe she's allergic to something in her food. Did you change brands just before this started?