The Best Flooring for Dogs

Any suggestions on the best flooring with dogs in the house? Hardwood? Laminate?

Melly from Seattle

Well I can tell you it's NOT hardwood floors! Dogs seem to slide on them. Their claws cannot grip on the floor. The best floors for dogs are really carpet floors. Carpet floors can seem to get a little hairy with the dogs shedding, but idea is to make sure you give them regular baths weekly and a steam cleaner perhaps near by.

Hardwood and tile are very difficult for dogs to move on. Linoleum is only slightly better. I think carpet really is the easiest for a dog. We have an old dog who has arthritis. Her hip goes out very easy on any smooth surface.

And also hard floor are LOUD with dogs!

I also have dogs but have always had carpet so it never occured to me that dogs would have difficulty on solid flooring until I saw my neighbors dog trying to walk across her laminate floors. It was both funny and sad at the same time - and her dog was only a few years old. I would have thought their pads would have enough grip, but I guess not. Or maybe the dog's nails weren't clipped short enough?

we have ceramic tile kitchen/dining room and the dogs do well; if you can hear nails 'click' then you let nails get too long which is not good for dogs.

on hot days they like to sleep on ceramic floor

We got a new vinyl(sheet) floor last March (08)and there are already 3-4 claw marks in it!

Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringMay 16, 2007
Paint can, tray, brushes and supplies.
Painting Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Laminate Flooring, Red dry mop cleaning laminate floors
Cleaning Laminate Flooring
Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
Cleaning Textured Flooring
Upclose picture of bamboo flooring.
Cleaning Bamboo Flooring