Looking For Information About Geothermal Heating

I am interested in Geothermal heating for my home. I am looking for information from others who have this type of heating and how they feel about the decision they made having it installed. Did you save a considerable amount of money on your heating costs? Did you get your floors heated? Hubby even wants the driveway heated so he does not have to shovel snow in the winter.

Any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Karyn from Ottawa, Canada

We installed geothermal heating 20 years ago when we remodeled our house. We live in West Texas where our winters are not as extreme as yours but our summers get really hot so we use it for both heating and cooling.We have been well pleased with it. We use it to heat our water also. We have an electrical back-up for the water heater to use when needed.

For those not in the know, "geothermal heating" in this context isn't an Icelandic use of vulcanism, but use of heat pumps.

We started out with this type of heat pump. EVERY 7 years we had to replace the heat pump to the tune of $8000.00 each time! When I started reading up on them I was finding that the "life" of these things is around 7 years. It may have changed in the last 3 years, but after paying for 3 heat pumps over the years, we gave up and finally just put a regular furnace into our superinsulated home. The initail savings we realized with the heat pump usage quickly disappeared with replacement costs. We have plans to shorly look into solar to cut down on the furnace use. We live in New Hampshire and used the heat pumps for both heating and air conditioning in the summer. They worked fantastically, until giving up the ghosts.

All I can say is do your homework.

Home and Garden Home Improvement HeatingApril 28, 2008
family Warming Feet by Fire
Winter Heating Tips
Electric Heating Pad
Uses for an Electric Heating Pad
Wood Burning Stove
Heating with Wood
Insulating Your Home, Insulation Ready to Be Installed
Insulating Your Home