"Shop" In Catalogs First, Then Visit Thrift Stores

I have 3 kids, ages 8, 9, and 12. We go through catalogs, ad flyers, and find the latest "styles". Then with favorite colors and sizes written down, we go to our local thrift store or goodwill. My kids love doing this, knowing they are helping mom save money, and it's fun! Sometimes we find some really "out there" clothing, and have a giggle too.

By Darcie from Wisconsin

I do the same but always shop the garage sales too. I have gotten some of my best furniture for pennies on the dollar. Just keep in mind you can strip down and paint or varnish pieces for pennies compared to shopping in the catalog. Many times it is just a matter of painting to keep the piece trendy. My home has better quality furniture and more furniture for so much less money. My friends are all amazed when they come to visit and see a new piece. Great way to save money and feel good about learning painting techniques.

Three school age girls wearing backpacks.
Saving Money on School Clothes
Consumer Advice Tips for ConsumersAugust 1, 2011
Colorful seed catalogs to be used in crafts.
Crafts Using Recycled Catalogs
Thrift Store Clothes
Thrift Store Shopping Tips
Buy Now, Pay Later Catalogs
Buy Now, Pay Later Catalogs
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
🎄