Books and PapersCleaning

Removing Sticker Adhesive from Books

I love to buy books but I can't afford them at full price. I go to yard sales and pick up current books at the fraction of the cost. Sometimes, these books have sale price stickers on them which are a mess to remove.

I found that using Avon's Skin so Soft does the trick to remove the gummy sticker and sticky mess. I pour a dab of Skin so Soft on a old sock then I rub the sticker until it is saturates the sticker but not the book itself. The sticker will come of easily and there will not be that 'gummy' stickiness on your book.

Bonus, the smell is very nice.

Source: Something I tried, and it worked!

By Antaria from Chino Valley, Arizona

That is actually a good one. Most people will go for something like the WD-40 or something similar.

I work in the industry where we have to remove library lables and we use a product called Undo.

It honestly doesn't matter what you use as long as you let it sit to penetrate the sticker. Remember to let it penetrate all the way down to the jacket/slick back of the book. It should come up real easy then.

How do you remove stickiness from books where old stickers have been removed?

By Valdnada from Norfolk, NE

Answers:

Removing Sticker Adhesive from Books

The only thing I've ever used is Goo Gone. One bottles lasts for years! (04/21/2009)

By jannieb

Removing Sticker Adhesive from Books

I totally agree with jannieb, Goo Gone is GREAT! I am copying my post from several months ago about my method for using this product.

I absolutely LOVE the product Goo Gone! I use it a lot! I have discovered a very economical way to use this product. First, I buy the large package of cotton swabs at the Dollar Tree for $1.00. There were 300 swabs in the package that I purchased.

Second, you can find a small bottle of Goo Gone also at the Dollar Tree. When I need to use Goo Gone, I simply put the tip of the cotton swab at the opening of the Goo Gone. I put just enough Goo Gone to fill the tip and begin using the loaded cotton swab on the stickiness that I need to remove. I use the stem of the swab as my tool to work the sticky off the surface.

If I don't need to use the other end, I just pop the swab into two pieces and discard the used side. I save the other end for the next time.

Source: Me. I hated getting the stickiness on my hands and knew that there had to be a better way and not waste so much of the product.

Hope you try this product and like it as much as I do.
(04/21/2009)

By southeastgeorgiapeach

Removing Sticker Adhesive from Books

Goo Gone is an excellent product to remove stickers and price tags from many different materials. I prefer the spray but the liquid works well also. You can buy Goo Gone at most hardware stores or Walmart near the paint supplies. (04/28/2009)

By shelleyann

Removing Sticker Adhesive from Books

Yes! Goo Gone. I work in a library and that's what we use on the library books. (04/28/2009)

By PamWh