Cold Water Flow Restricted to Washing Machine

When a washer does not fill up as it should, you may want to check if a water hose is pinched or a screen is clogged before calling a repairman. This is a guide about cold water flow restricted to washing machine.

When I try to use cold water temperature for my washing machine, it barely trickles out but when I use warm it comes out just fine. I hope I don't need to buy a new machine. Any suggestions?

Rita in Wisconsin

Best Answer

This happened to me and I found that the mesh filter in the cold water line was clogged. To find the filter unscrew the cold water hose from the back of your machine and reach inside the opening with a finger and you should be able to remove the filter to clean it. Replace the filter and screw on the hose tightly. It worked in my washer which is a Kenmore. I don't know if all washers are the same, but it is worth a try.

Best Answer

Just a tip " SHUT OFF THE WATER" before taking off the hose. and have a bucket near by for the remain water in the hose.

Best Answer

I have the same problem The screen on the cold water inlet was clogged. I cleaned and replaced the screen works great for a month or so. I would like to know what is clogging the screen. its white fiber looking stuff almost like a fiberglass mat with a little brown in it Wish I knew.

Hi Rita,

Before buying a new machine, check the screen in the faucet. It may be stopped up. I hope this is the problem.

Do you have a water softener. If you do it probably only softens the hot water so you have a lime deposit in you hose or your water line to your washer. Take your hose off the cold faucet and see if there is a lot of build up around the conections. Clean them out with some vinegar or clr and that will probably help. Nan from N W Iowa

Take the coldwater hose off the back of washer, you will find a little screen inside the fitting, just clean it off. I don't know what the small particles are , but they do clog the water flow.

Check out www.inlinewaterfilters.com they have the solution.

refer to www.inlinewaterfilters.com

I bought new hoses for the washing machine, hot and cold. Still the cold water barely trickles out.

It could also have something to do with the water valve. This is the part that the hoses attach to. For more info visit http://www.apwa  =page&id=614

My clothes washer, a rebuilt, has done us fairly well, but has picked up an issue I'd like resolved. If I wash things in cold water, barely any water flows in and it has taken over 4 hours to do a load of wash today. It's taken longer and longer over the past couple weeks.

We are on an automated well system and there's been air in the pipes the last few days, but this problem with the washer has been going on for several weeks and probably isn't connected to the air in the pipes. Will it clear up if I do a warm/cold wash with vinegar, or is this a larger problem?

By nekocat from OR

Best Answer

The water for my washer also comes from a well. I found the cold water strainer in the hose that runs from the the inlet valve as well as the strainer in the hose that attaches to the washer gets clogged with slit. I would clean the stainer every month or so. I finally put a filter in the cellar to filter out the slit as the water comes into the house. Made a big difference.

Thanks for the information. where do I find the strainer? my washroom is an add-on to a pre-electric washer era house, and has a strange set up. the pipes are in a half wall boarded off section of the room, up against one outside wall. not anywhere near the outside spigot. the hoses come off of the tops of the pipes. I have no plumbing knowledge other than turning the water main off before working on plumbing in the bathroom or kitchen. well, ok, I've worked on the kitchen, but it's now pvc, the washroom is metal. very different type of work.

There's no cellar, just a crawl space on the other end of the house. if the strainer is at the bottom of the pipe, down by the floor, we're talking remolding here, the board is thick and permanent. If it's at the top. I'll have to fiddle around with it, I've never seen such a get-up. not attached to spigots, though there may be water main style spigot half way down, I forget. of late I've brought the outdoor hose in and filled the washer that way.

Some great tips there but you can also check the cold water spicket in the back of the washer. It will be like an outside spicket. Turn it to make sure it is opened all the way.