Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Salad

Anyone out there with an onion/tomato/cucumber salad?

By terryfnp from LaFayette, NY

This one is simple and my family loves it. You simply mix equal portions of sugar with cider vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss, refrigerate and yumola! For example I will use 3 tablespoons sugar/vinegar for one cucumber, one tomato and 1/2 onion. More veggies...use more sauce.

I make cucumbers and onions and I make tomatoes and onions, but I never have mixed the 3 of them together for some reason! (I'll have to try that.) I like using the little grape tomatoes (they're usually sweet. I cut them in quarters, chop the onion, and usually I slice the cucumbers, but I think if you're going to mix them all together, I'd cube them (in bite-sized pieces). Then I make a very simple dressing of apple cider vinegar, canola oil, salt & pepper (all to-taste).

I put a largely chopped red onion, sliced cucumber and tomatoes in a salad bowl and pour a bottle of Italian Dressing over it and then spinkle basil on top of that, add salt and pepper. I dip with a slotted spoon. If there is any liquid left over, I put in fridge and use again later.

Well, are you willing to add some additional items? ;-) It's not neccesary but the ingredients here should give you some ideas ;-)

1 1/2 lb medium asparagus

1 cucumber cut in half lengthwise and then cut into 1/2 inch slices

1 basket cherry tomatoes

1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices

3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives

1/4 cup nonpareil capers

2 tbls red wine vinegar

2 tbls extra-virgin olive oil

salt and freshly ground pepper

Parmesan cheese to taste, shredded

1) Snap off and discard the tough ends of asparagus. Snap each spear into three or four pieces. Bring a medium pot of water to boil (salted if desired). Prepare an ice bath. Boil asparagus until just tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain asparagus and ice bath right away. Once asparagus is cooled, drain and place on dry, clean kitchen towel.

2) In a small bowl, whisk red wine vinegar and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

3) In a large bowl, combine and toss asparagus, cucumber, tomatoes, red onions, olives and capers. Add vinaigrette and toss again until salad is coated.

Sprinkle well with Parmesan if desired.

Any leftover salad will remain fresh for up to three days in the refrigerator.

I large tomato

1 medium cucumber

I small purple or Vidalia onion

Chop up tomato into slices, slice the cuke into rings and slice the onion into rings.

Put all together in plastic container with lid. Now add one TBS sugar and one TBS vinegar. I just use apple cider vinegar but you can use whatever you like. Now add some salt and pepper. Put the lid on and shake, shake, shake. Refrigerate for a few hours. This is great.

What you may be looking for is sliced cucumber and tomato cut up and chopped onion, add a little canola or olive oil, salt, parsley flakes or fresh chopped, crumbled feta cheese. yummmm!

How about adding Italian dressing with fresh Basil?

I cook some spaghetti (however much you want for your size family) and add the cukes, tomatoes and onion. The I use Italian dressing over all. Let sit a couple of hours for the flavors to blend. It's great! Make it even healthier and use the whole grain spaghetti or linguine.

September 8, 2009 Flag

Ingredients

• 2-3 large cucumbers, peeled and cut in 1 inch cubes
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup white onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated
  • 2 fresh hot chilies, seeded and diced

Directions

Place the cucumbers, tomatoes, onion and cilantro on a platter and toss. Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, coriander, cumin, salt, ginger and chilies in a cruet and shake well. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Chill for about 1 hour before serving.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Caprese Tomato Salad
Tomato Salad Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SaladsSeptember 8, 2009
supporting cucumbers
Supporting Cucumber Vines
Watermelon
Cucumber and Watermelon Salad
bowl of tomato and cucumber slices
Tomato Cucumber Salad Recipes
A cucumber salad.
Cucumber Salad Recipes
🎉
🎄