Attempts to Fix Clothing Dye Transfer Created a Bigger Mess

I did something really stupid and I need some advice, quick! I bought a new blue sweater and a black and white dress. Instead of washing them separately, like a sane normal person would do, I stuck them both in the washer at the same time. And, they each bled on each other. (But not the rest of the clothes!)

So, I took some advice from this website and put the sweater in boiling water and I added bleach to it; my first mistake. Now the sweater is a mixture of brown and white! Then, I put the dress is boiling water (minus the bleach) and now, where it was white, it's a dingy gray color! I got both items on sale, thank goodness and I don't want to throw them out. I was thinking of using RIT to bleach the sweater a new color, but my mom says it's a very messy process. I'm at a loss for the dress! Can anyone help me out asap? Thanks in advance.

By Jaci from MO

Answers

You may want to try washing each item by itself with 2-3 Shout Color Catcher Sheets, available in the laundry aisle at the supermarket. Then air dry them. Since you have boiled and bleached them, it may not work but the items are unusable as is. Hope this may help.

Home and Garden Repair ClothingMarch 6, 2011
Washing Machine
Cleaning Fabric Dye from Inside a Washer
Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Removing Dye Transfers from Clothing
Man Washing Clothes
Preventing Dye Transfer When Washing Clothes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄