Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dry Erase Marker on Wood

What can I use to remove dry erase marker stains from wood?

Kira from Milwaukee, WI

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Patty Cox02/27/2013

I googled this 10 minutes ago because my daughters bright pink dry erase marker bled through a sheet of computer paper and stained my brand new solid wood diningroom table. I got lucky, I found a bottle of Spot Shot for carpets and after making sure it would not ruin the finish on the wood I tried it and the marker came right out! Spot Shot Carpet stain & Odor in the blue bottle saved my table (and my husband from having a mild heart attack). Hope this helps!

10/27/2012

All you guys are missing it. What you do is this:
1. buy an erasable white board marker that is throw-away, as you'll ruin it here. Buy two to be safe and make sure you have enough to do the job.
2. Write over a small part of the dried markings with the new marker. The new marker 'ink' will dissolve the old.
3. Immediately wipe off the ink with a damp sponge.
4. Wait for the wood to dry.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 until it's all gone. If the marker becomes saturated with the old 'ink', use the second one.

By tami (Guest Post)05/28/2008

Wow. I'm glad I found this thread. I just used a magic eraser to get marker off my dining room tabletop after trying vinegar, ammonia cleaner, water, dry erase board cleaner and anything else I could lay my hands on.

The magic eraser took some scrubbing but it's gone.

Lucky baby.

By Alison (Guest Post)05/16/2008

My daughter used washable marker (Laurentien brand) on my sons wooden Thomas set track. I'm sooo upset! I took some dish detergent and a toothbrush to it and that only lightened it. I have also tried rubbing alcohol and that didn't really seem to do anything, not that I noticed anyway. Does anyone know how to remove washable marker?

By Denise01/26/2007

Try the Mr Clean Magic Eraser. That sponge works great. Haven't found anything it won't remove yet.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Dry Erase Marker on Unfinished Wood

My son wrote all over the train track on our Thomas the train table with a dry erase marker. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove it? The wood is unfinished.

Thank you!
Christine from Menomonie, WI

RE: Dry Erase Marker on Unfinished Wood

Try rubbing alcohol or an astringent. HTH Happy Holidays Julie (12/12/2005)

By maddhatterr

RE: Dry Erase Marker on Unfinished Wood

Christine my 3 year old did the same thing. So far everything I have tried has not worked. The list includes: alcohol, goo gone, goof off, greased lighting, Mr Clean magic eraser, hairspray, antibacterial hand gel, clorox bleach pen. I even tried using just a plain eraser. Nothing worked to remove it but in some areas it did get lighter. If you find out what works please post it & let me know. (02/06/2006)

By Lisa from Houston, TX

RE: Dry Erase Marker on Unfinished Wood

Hi Lisa,

The problem with unfinished wood is that it will absorb the color. Your best bet is sanding the area until you can no longer see the color. (02/06/2006)

By Susan