SewingCrafts

Sewing Material Help ASAP!

I am in a panic... well, not quite, but pretty soon if I don't find what I need.

I am making a formal dress for my 15 year old for her "school formal". I bought a Simplicity Pattern 5238. The dress C is a 1950's style strapless bodice, with a medium full skirt, all one piece. The problem I am having is finding the right material. I've found the material for the dress itself, but it has a sheer type black polka dot material overlay over the entire dress.

I've looked everywhere in Western Australia for the material but can't find it here. I am in the process of searching fabric stores in other states, but it's not easy. Trying to describe what we want over the phone isn't easy either. I've decided to "let my fingers do the walking" as the Yellow Pages ad says...lol A lot cheaper than driving around all day like I did one day and found absolutely nothing.

It has to be sheer enough to show the colour of the dress fabric underneath, but must have a polka dot or some sort of stylish patterned tulle or sheer organza... but it can't be stretch.

I'm so determined that she will get this dress that I'm even prepared to find the fabric in the US if I have to.... She had her heart set on this dress and I don't want to disappoint her. I can make it so much cheaper by doing it myself.

Bev

I see what you mean about how hard it was! THought I'd just pop around and find you something and after 2 1/2 hours I only found one. This is the link http://www.memo  2d576d9917bf11bc (wow that was a mouthful) I tried to nail it to the exact detail screen so you wouldn't have to search around. If I wrote it down wrong, which is entirely possible with all those letters and #'s, then go to the main page of memoryworks and go to tulle.

Here's the quick run down - it's Sheer white tulle with flocked pink polka dots, it's a vintage fabric in excellent condition. No holes, tears, stains, odors. $36 USD. The item is located in Canada and would ship from there. It measures 45" x 3 1/2 yards.

Well I hope this is what you were looking for. GIve my best to your daughter and tell her I said to be safe and enjoy herself.

Here are a couple of sources: http://www.joann.com this is a fabric store in the USA. Look under Prom 2005 for "caviar black organza". Ebay is also an excellent place to look for fabrics. Good luck and have fun sewing!

I remember being a desperate teenager who used to sew my dresses. If it was me I would experiment with a plain tulle and creating the polk a dots myself with different methods like stamping them on with fabric paint or making a template and spray painting the dots on. I hope you get something to work. I look back on those situations fondly because they really taught me how to be creative!

Hi, Bev and other sewing friends!

I am the owner of the Memoryworks on-line store. Yes, I do have a great piece of 1950's nylon tulle in white with pink flocked polka-dots...very retro!! The piece is in excellent shape and measures 45 in wide by 3 1/2 yards long. The price is as descrbed.. I hope to hear from you...Cheers, Rose

I'm reading you copied all the numbers and letters from the url and hand typed them here if I'm understanding you right. Here's an easier way for those less computer skilled.

Once you get to the page you want, to go the URL line or address as it's called and click on the end of the line till it's greyed out, then hold down Ctrl/c, this will copy it to your clipboard, then go back to where you want to paste it and hit Ctrl/v and it will make an exact copy of that URL anywhere you want.

Gluck finding your fabric!

i need help fixing a burn hole by a cig can u help me please.

Editor's Note: Get some iron on patching material, the thin kind. Cut out around the burnt part in a circle and cut a circle out of some material near a seam or out of the hem. Place the material in the hole and make sure that it is positioned properly. With an iron, iron on the patching material on the back.

Another way is to take matching thread and weave it over the hole, back and forth and then back and forth the other direction so it matches the weave of the fabric.

there are 4 options on ebay at the moment I searched for sheer black dot fabric (or if you paste the link below in it should take you to the page

http://shop.eba  za&_osacat=0

I'm looking for white / ivory sheer fabric with a dot for my flower girl dresses and haveing the same prob!! let me know how you get on, good luck

Kel

kellymariegoodall@btinternet.com""