Neighbor's Chickens Coming in Yard

How do I keep the neighbor's chickens from destroying everything that I have left. The grass, bulbs, and slope ground cover are already gone.

Sheryl from Hood River, OR

I would call the SPCA and see if they can do anything about it. Worth a try.

I had chickens that were going into my neighbors yard. There was a problem that no one told me about. I think your best bet would be to just talk to your neighbor. If that doesn't work then go to SPCA, you don't want there to be angst with a neighbor if you could have just talked to them first.

Regards,

Kim

Get some cats.

I suggest that you put up a fence, good luck.

You don't keep your neighbor's chickens under control. That's something your neighbor needs to do. If you had a good relationship with them; I'm guessing you would have already tried talking to them about taking responsibility for their birds.

The next step is taking some photos if possible and complaining to animal control. You also might look in to you town ordinances and see if the neighbor is even legally permitted to keep the # of chickens they have.

A cat might help but if the cat goes after the birds; your neighbor could sue you for the loss of livestock because you failed to control your cat.

I would have a talk with your neighbors about the problem. If it continues then I would invite the neighbors over for chicken dinner.

Speak to your neighbors kindly and let them know how much it's bothering you that the chickens are causing damage in your yard/garden. If they don't take care of the problem then ask advice from the ASPCA and last resort is crunchberry's very hilarious advice to have that yummy chicken dinner ;-) I say purchase a whole chicken and BBQ it within eyesight of the neighbors with a wink and a smile ;-)

Sheryl,

I'm a reporter interested in writing about your story. Please email me: nick.timiraos AT wsj.com. Thanks.

Consumer Advice General AdviceMarch 20, 2009
Large dog sitting near chickens.
Training a Dog Not to Chase Chickens
Chickens in a Garden
Benefits of Chickens for Your Garden
Pet chicken in the backyard.
Pet Chickens Information and Photos
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎉
🎄