Making Pulled Turkey BBQ

Has anyone ever tried slow cooking a turkey breast in BBQ sauce and then "pulling" the meat?

By Jim

I've never tried it with turkey, Jim. I've done beef & pork in the slow cooker with great results. I must tell you, though, I don't cook the meat in BBQ sauce. Since the sauce is so full of sugar, it will get a burnt taste. I put in liquid (usually water) about half-way up the meat. I do not cover the meat with liquid, because I've read/heard that it will cause the meat to shrink up too much. I add a little seasoning. Maybe half a packet of onion soup mix, and if I want it smokey I'll add a few drops of liquid smoke. Then I cover and cook on low. I usually start this around midnight. I check around 8:00 in the morning, and see how tender the meat is. If it's falling apart, I pull out the meat, let it cool just a little so I don't burn myself, and start shredding it with a couple forks. THEN I add BBQ sauce. If I need add'l liquid, I just take some from the crock pot. I used to put the meat back into the crock pot and let it sit on low until we wanted to eat. But one time we went to a football game, and when we got home it had an unappealing burnt taste from the BBQ sauce being cooked too long. I imagine you'd do everything the same way with a turkey breast.

I cut the meat off 2 turkey legs a few weekends ago and put them in my crock pot with a bunch of seasonings and covered them with water. I let it cook all day then pulled it out and shredded up the meat and added the bbq sauce. My husband was leery of turkey bbq sandwiches until he tasted it and was pleased with the results. Good luck!

I use leftover turkey (or chicken), chopped onion, BBQ sauce, etc on a canned biscuit that is flattened out a bit (to about 5 inches diameter), then bake for 15-20 minutes for a personal size BBQ pizza.

Leftover Turkey Sandwich
Recipes Using Leftover Turkey
Food and Recipes Recipes MeatsAugust 4, 2011
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Turkey dumpling soup with carrots.
Leftover Turkey Soup Recipes
A cooked turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in a Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
🎉
🎄