Selling Silk Floral Arrangements On-line

What is the best way to sell on-line? How do I make pictures look good on line? I make silk arrangements, but have no luck in selling them.

By Cindy from Middletown, DE

Hi Cindy. I don't have the technical expertise to answer your first question (how to sell online) but I do suggest that you use several "Could be used for . . . " references in your description of each item. This helps the consumer imagine how he/she could use the product.

I can, however, offer a few suggestions for your second question (how to make the pictures look good).

1. Make sure to use a solid color (no prints or patterns), neutral back drop, as busy or loud backgrounds might detract from the arrangement.

2. Make sure the background color contrasts with the particular arrangement, as a low contrast background will wash out the object. (For example, if there are a lot of white flowers, you don't want a white background, maybe a dark taupe or sky blue.)

3. Don't clutter up the picture with unnecessary objects, but do use a reference item if the product is an unusual size. (For example, if the item is a large table top centerpiece, use a single wine glass or water pitcher in the shot but avoid showing an entire dinner setting. Again, this will keep the focus on the product.)

4. Practice good lighting techniques when you photograph the products for posting. (Google or Bing searches on "photography lighting" or "lighting for photography" if you need help brushing up on these skills.)

5. Use a good camera. You don't need a high quality photographer's camera for "internet only postings" but you do need one with an adequate pixel count for high quality web images. Generally speaking the higher the pixel count, the better the image quality of the photo: However, the internet is not designed to use the full pixel capacity of high quality photography so you just need a good "internet posting" camera.

I wish I could explain this camera pixel thing better but the only reason I know this much is because I know someone in the industry. If you are in doubt of your camera quality, and don't know someone in the industry, I'd start by visiting camera shops (without your wallet) and ask a lot of questions.

Best of luck in your venture!

March 6, 2011 Flag

What is the best way to sell silk flora arrangements on-line? I've tried eBay, artfire, and esty with no luck.

By Cindy from Middletown, DE

Crafts Selling CraftsMarch 6, 2011
Golden silk fabric
Cleaning Silk
Finished Rain Boot Flower Arrangement
Creative Flower Arrangements
Beautiful flower arrangement at a grave site.
Making Grave Site Floral Arrangements
Floral Arrangements on Wood Tables
Saving Money on Floral Arrangements