Reviving Linoleum

How do I paint an old linoleum floor? What kind of paint do I use?

Faye from Norton, Ohio

Yes, it is possible to paint linoleum. You need to prepare if for paint by getting rid of all the shine, by sanding, sanding and sanding some more. Then was with TSP (Tri Sodium Phosphate) available at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Then prime floor and paint. You'll want to seal it with several coats of polyurethene after. Remember, several coats of polyurethene, dry well in between coats - - and don't shake the can. Just gently stir it after opening or you'll have bubbles in your floor that you'll never get out. Good Luck

I also painted linoleum in my bathroom, but I just wanted it for a quick fix, so I didn't go through all the steps the previous poster described. I went to my local hardware store and got a can of Kilz and had them tint it a cream color. I came home and did one coat, let it dry for about 30 minutes and did another coat and it looked fabulous. I then sponged blue and green swirls on it to match my walls. I didn't put any kind of finish on it or anything because I didn't need it to last long...I had planned to replace it within the year, and that bathroom didn't get that much traffic anyway. Well, fast forward several months and in moved daughter and her 2 toddlers, so the bathroom gets constant use and it has not chipped or faded a bit. I think that by using the Kilz it kind of melts into the flooring and it's almost impossible for it to chip. Good luck!

Dear Cheryl

I too painted a floor but used cement paint and it didn't work so good.I used Marine paint another time and it stayed on for about 8 years. I used the

polyurethane [3 coats] and it was a beautiful floor.

Call an Amway dealer in your area. They had a great cleaner once, I have forgotten the name though. Good Luck.

A can of blue paint.
Painting Vinyl (or Linoleum) Flooring
Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringAugust 2, 2008
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Linoleum Floors
Installing Vinyl Tile Over Old Linoleum Tile
Cleaning Discolored Linoleum
🎉
🎄