CatsPets

Nubbins the Cat

Category Cats

This is Nubbins. She is only about 4 months old. She came to us while i was in the hospital having surgery. My hubby opened the back door and there she was. Probably not much older then 6-8 weeks. She got her name because she only has a nubbin for a tail. We don't know how she lost it or if she was born that way, but she is the most loving kitty i have ever had. She is an odd slate gray color and she has bright orange eyes. Beautiful kitty.

By Melissa from NY

She looks just like my cat "Purrrl". I know what you mean about her color. I think the name for it is "Diluted Calico".

Nubbins may have some Manx cat in her. They can have no tail completely - almost a hollow at the base of the spine, a little stump of a tail, or even a half a tail. Colloquially in the Isle of Man a tailess one is called a 'rumpy' and one like Nubbins a 'stumpy'! They are often a different shape to cats in general, having short backs and long back legs.

Regards

Jo

What gorgeous orange eyes! Very striking.

I have a cat like "Nubbins". His name is "Hobert", he was a stray and found me when he was about 2 years old. The vet said he was born with his short stubby tail because it has a definite kink in it. The vet said there is probably some American Bobcat or Manx in him. He is the most loveable and social cat we have. He runs around the house and meows all the time. He is a very muscular cat also. Hobert is a pale orange tabby and white mix. I would have loved to see him as a kitten with his nubby tail and outgoing personality!

I was wondering if Nubbins might be a Manx also. I had two some years ago and they were wonderful cats. So funny not to have a tail to knock things over with. They are very graceful and attentive normally.

Susan from ThriftyFun

She's beautiful!

This picture brings me to tears. I had a cat just like her, her name was Lily, however she had the most stunning tail. Before Lily was killed, she had a litter of five kittens. Tumbles was grey like her and very roly, Coconut was a white grey and tan cat and very small, Velvet was the smallest and most velvety--he was mostly black with stunning white stripes tail tip and tummy with the same black spot on his hind right foot as another previous kitten of ours--twins almost! (we gave Velvet to the same house who still owned the former Tiger, now called Japetto) Pebbles was like her sister coconut but with less wiry fur and more sleek with more color besides white, (she was very agressive and mean) my favorite whom I named was Millefiori (pronounced millilure and meaning flower in French) who, unlike her sisters was a PURE tortise shell with black, white and caramel. She lives with Pebbles at my grandma's house today and is a year old on Mother's day. Lily was going to have kittens and never did until on one fateful Mother's day at 2 in the morning, there she was--right on the basement stairs with five happy, healthy kittens. They were beautiful. She was beautiful. I hope she still is, for we never knew for sure whether Lily, Kaddy or Cloie were gone for sure. (Cloie was a calico who also had five kittens, including Japetto and Kaddy was our second cat, a tortoise shell who mysteriously looks just like a homeless neighboring cat whom my neighbors finally adopted just before the building she was living in was torn down and rebuilt. I still see Kallie, as I call her sometimes and hope she might be Kaddy and that Cloie and Lily might still be alive. I can only hope. My heart will break with one more word. Audios.

I got two kittens from the same litter in October. One of them (the girl) hasnt increased her weight in months because she is the runt, coincidentially she also has a "nubby" tail. I asked the vet about it because I wanted to be sure she had not been mistreated. Because I can feel a ball at the end of it means that she was born that way. A kitten with a hurt tail will not have a collection of cartillage (sp?) at the end. Hope this helps! P.S. Your kitten is beautiful...as mine is. They are lovely animals.