AdviceBudget & Finance

Legal Advice For Qualifying As Non Profit

I leave in San Antonio, TX and I have an incorporated, non-profit business and I want to apply for my 501(c)(3) which is tax deduct for donors. We don't have a lot of money to hire an attorney so I did the research and typed up all that I think is required. I have been searching for a pro bono person/attorney to just sit with me, read over what I have and tell me if I have the correct information and if not what I need to do to qualify. I'm not asking for any one to type or do research, I can do that myself. I just need someone that knows what the government looks for to qualify non-profit business as "exempt". Can any one tell me of someone that can help with this issue.

Tanya from San Antonio, TX

Tanya,

You can try contacting your local SBA (Small Business Association) -- there is an office in San Antonio. They may be able to give you the help you need (probably for free). Good luck!

Contact the government agency that oversees this. I am sure that they have a printed guideline for what you need. The other suggestion of the SBA is good also. They have a program called SCORE, where retired persons help in their given fields. I do believe it is free.

HI about 15 years ago we got our 501c3. What we did was get the phone book out and called different accountants. One of them said he would do the paperwork for us. He did all the work and didnt even charge us. Just ask!!!!! God will help you just ask. Phyllis from lake Isabella ca.