Homemade Skins for Laptop or Netbook
Plastic or vinyl skins look great on your laptop or Netbook, turning it from dull and boring to something eye catching and personal to you. But even these items can be costly, and you just can't find the one you really want. The frugal and creative answer is to make your own skins. You can change them as often as you like, and choose images that really resonate with you, even personal photos. I love the movie Death Note, so here is how I made my own skin for my Netbook.
Approximate Time: 30 minutes
- Netbook or laptop
- clear vinyl self adhesive book covering
- double sided tape
- images or printouts
- Close your laptop or Netbook so the cover is facing you.
- Measure out a piece of book covering the right size to cover your laptop or Netbook. It should be large enough to cover the surface of the laptop or Netbook lid, but not reach right to the edge. Allow about 1/4 inch on all sides.
- Carefully peel away the backing and lay your book covering on the lid. Use a soft cloth to smooth it to the edges and take out any air bubbles.
- Using the double sided tape, position your image or images on this layer of book covering. The image can be a collage, a printout, your favorite photo, or anything you wish, but it should not extend beyond the book covering. Allow a little space between your image and the edge of the book covering.
- Now cut another layer of book covering just a little larger all round than the first. Peel off the backing and very carefully position this over the first layer and the image layer. The double sided tape will prevent your image(s) from slipping about while you do this.
- Smooth the second layer of book covering into place.
- Your 'skin' is now complete, and can easily be removed if you change your mind and want a new image, or have to start again.
By Gail from Queensland, Australia
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide