Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

I'm planning a wedding for 10/09/10. I am on a strict budget of $3000 dollars. I would appreciate any tips and advice you could share to make wedding a memorable event.

By Chandra from Reidsville, NC

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I'd rather elope than spend too much on a wedding,you never know if it will last a life time or not. We went to our preachers house to get married then went to my daughters house for a very simple reception. She took pictures. I made my dress. He wore a suit. If you don't sew look in news papers for dresses for sale, good luck.

Buy a dress online, you can get them cheap and there are more sizes available, buy one size up and the alterations will not cost as much. Skip all the flowers, only buy what you need for the wedding party and parents. Your reception will still be fun without tons of flowers. Go with a local cake maker not the one the hall provides, even better use stacked cupcakes.

You can make your bouquets from artificial flowers at craft stores-plus they dont die so you'll have the keepsake forever! as for photographers, food, decorations. Check out students at local colleges(photography students, culinary students, art students). They may have discount prices as they are trying to make a name for themselves.decides exactly every song you want played at your reception and have someone burn you a few discs (my brother did this as his gift to me and i still have all of them-its a great memory-plus you dont have to listen to any song you don't like-no macarena if you hate that song!). Many ladies church groups or auxiliary clubs will cater weddings.you can make favors at your shower.ive seen beautiful wedding gowns at thrift stores-they don't get a lot of wear and tear-heck you can have mine from my 1st marriage-only worn once! Good luck to you and your husband to be-post something after the event, and let us all know how you pulled it off and how great the day was. He will be blessed to have a wife who is frugal with money. God Bless you both!

In my area some of the thrift stores even get brand new wedding gowns donated, that still have the price tags on them. Then, in some areas there is a David's Bridal, and no matter when, they always have commercials advertising $99.00 gown sales. This happens so often that I think it is an ongoing thing. Some florists have alter baskets of silk flowers already made up that a person can rent. Some areas even have shops where you can rent the gown. Have cake punch and coffee for the reception instead of a meal. Some people do add the small buns with deli sliced ham at their receptions. You also don't need to have a dance. Ask some friends and relatives to do the serving if you just have cake, sandwiches, etc.

My dress was bought during Prom (or Homecoming) season at a mall chain store. The dress was a white homecoming or prom formal (just beautiful!) & it cost under $80, but you can also buy a used wedding dress on Craig's List & get a great deal! To save money, I made my own bouquet with grocery store flowers. You can also rent silk flowers for the wedding, you can't tell if they are silk or real from a distance. To rent silk flowers cost about one-third of using real flowers.

We had a potluck reception. My mom told all her friends to bring a tasty hor'devours to the reception. I bought my wedding cake at a grocery store bakery (not a fancy cake store). I looked in their book & asked for colors that matched my wedding theme (Blue & White) We bought a keg of beer instead of buying champagne or wine for the reception.

Call around to get the best places to rent. Sometimes if a friend lives in an apartment with a clubhouse you can rent this space for a very good price. The bonus is, these places often come with pool tables. Have a DJ in place of a band & have them play a lot of "oldie" music (50's, 60's & 70's) so the "old" folks will dance & have fun too... Sometimes your city parks have interior place you can rent for a good price. If you keep it small, you could even rent a party bus to take you & your friends to several places.

Look to your local dollar stores or go on to dollartree.com to buy wedding & reception favors. You can buy a box of 12 little bottles of bubbles (instead of throwing rice) for only $1 (for 12 of them!) Also, they have candles & clear glass candle holders. They also have those clear flat marbles which look so nice scattered around candles in candlelight.

One thing I can tell you to splurge a bit on is the photographer. We had a friend who said he was a photographer do our wedding pictures, & they were horrible. We really were disappointed & still had to pay him! When interviewing the photographer, have them show you examples of their work. This is one day you'll want to remember, so make sure you have several nice wedding pictures. You don't need to buy a huge package deal, just buy the least expensive wedding package you can get. (These days' everyone needs money & is looking for work, so I'd look on Craig's list for wedding photographers in your area & call 4 or 5 of them. Tell them you have very little money, but you'd like to find an arrangement that works for you both. (Get several references and call them!). The last thing you need is to have a photographer that fails to show up for the wedding! For the reception, just have your friends snap some pictures.

The most important tip I can give you is to think outside the box, don't worry & just have fun! I had several friends who had theme weddings. One was a 70's flashback wedding & one was a Renaissance fairytale wedding. These informal "theme" weddings were some of the most fun we'd ever had!

Borrow what you can! I bought my dress for $250 off the rack, it was originally $2500! So shop around.

bravobrides.com had some good fines on the site, like brides reselling items!

I had a candy buffet for my favors. I bought all my candy on sale after valentines day. I bought my candy holders from Michael's using coupons I got. If you sign up for their newsletter online, they will send you and 50% off coupon and other coupons!

Contact local high schools and colleges. My friend played in the high school orchestra and they used to do weddings for a donation! I have also heard of people who used colleges to do their flower arrengaments!

Ask friends to take pictures. You always want a few that way you have a better chance of getting good photos! Even professionals have more than one person taking the pictures!

Good luck! My advice is to enjoy the day because it will go by fast then you will even think!

Married September 12, 2009

Here are some tips that I used for my wedding and many weddings I have helped with.

1. Have your wedding at a friend or family members home. Inside look for a large winding stairway, outside look for a pretty lake or view.

2. Have an evening wedding. If the ceremony starts at 7 p.m. and the reception follows at the site you may not have to pay for the entire day.

3. Have a champagne reception only if the wedding starts late enough that all of the guests would have eaten before the ceremony. Be certain that you state on the invite that the ceremony will be followed by a champagne reception immediately followed by the dance so it is clear that food will not be served.

4. By a small cake for you and the groom to cut and then bake your own sheet cakes to be sliced and served. This will save you$$$ and everyone still gets cake.

5. Have your attendants carry 3 long stem flowers with a few sprigs of babys breath in their arms ( much like you see beauty contestants carry their flowers) this will cut your flower budget by a lot.

6. Shop for tux shops that give a free rental to the groom.

7. Use candles on reception tables along with dried rose petals scattered down the center of tables at the reception.

8. Remember less really is more. Avoid plastic, gaudy replicas of something you can't afford. It can ruin your look and your day.

9. Ask family and friends for wedding favors instead of gifts. Example if you a have a friend with a great singing voice have her sing at the wedding as her gift to you.

0. Comparision shop. Last but not least its the marriage that is the most important, the ceremony, not so much.

Congratulations! Ask friends if they belong to a fraternal organization that rents the hall. they often ask only for a donation (but you may have to purchase beverages from them). Ask and keep asking for friends, coworkers anyone who might know of folks good at whatever you need. We found a DJ who is doing the music as his wedding gift to our granddaughter because we are fellow church members.

Another church member is a party decorator and gave me access to her website and a ton of inexpensive suggestions for decoration and the pitfalls of some commonly used items. We found the gown and shoes at a consignment shop for $150 total. The groom to be had a relative that owns a print shop and that was his gift to them. The groom's father knows cake decorator that cut them a great deal on the cake. A family member's long time hobbyis photography and he is taking pictures.

Just keep asking around and you might be surprised at the talent that just pops up and how many people are eager and pleased to be asked. One post mentioned the photographer and I agree, but if you have a college nearby, even a community one, a student who is advanced might be able to do it for a nominal expense and even get extra credit for the project. I did see the results of one wedding done this way and the pictures were exceptional.

My sister had a wedding last year and was strapped by her budget. One of her strategies was buying and doing her own flowers. We were able to buy wholesale flowers from http://www.wholeblossoms.com since they sell to the public. She basically got her flowers at about half the cost of what she would've spent going through a florist. We put the arrangements together which wasn't a big deal since they were easy to put together. good luck!

I can design wedding stationery and give you instructions so that you can make it up yourself very cheaply with a little help from a couple of people. Just let me know!

1) Check into romanticgowns.com. They have beautiful gowns at an affordable price. Also check the bridal stores for last seasons dresses. I found my dress like this & it was $300. No one knew it was a previous seasons style:) If you know someone who can alter your dress (if need be) do so b/c some alterations cost as much as the dress.

2)Favors: I wanted favors that would be used not tossed in a box with all the other wedding favors. Useful & affordable. I decided to go with bottled water. They could drink it at the reception or later on. The company I chose allowed me design my own label. The cost was about $.80/bottle. Very affordable.

3)Flowers: Look into artifical flowers. Michaels always has sales & coupons check their website. And you will always have your bouquet.

4)Skip seating chart. Its time consuming & place card fee can take funds away from more desired things.

5)Look for venues that you can do both ceremony & reception at. These places tend to work with you if your using them for both.

6)Depending on whether you have a fall theme or not you can always use the great outdoors for decorations & centerpieces. Instead of the flowergirl throwing rose petals, fill her basket with hand selected leaves. Affordable & you don't have to take time to pick them up after the ceremony.

Good Luck & Congratulations! Married Oct. 10, 2008 Jaguar2010

If weather allows, have an outdoor wedding in a public garden to save on wedding site fees. If not, look around for cheap alternatives. Local live theatre spaces, small performance venues that often host upcoming bands and such - we've used a local theatre for weddings, baby showers for friends, even fashion shows. They're very reasonable about rates and the seating is built in, so no need to rent chairs. The reception was held right on the stage after each ceremony, giving everyone a few moments to clear out while the food got rolled in on carts that were already prepared. Receptions can be held just about anywhere. Look for a friend with a clubhouse that can be reserved, or consider just having it at a private home.

Reduce the size of the wedding party. Buying gifts and throwing dinners for just a few wedding party members (and don't forget their significant others) will save you a ton of money. It might sound cold, but eliminate any unnecessary party members, like a flower girl. Don't wanna hurt people's feelings? If they know your situation they will either offer to chip in or else back off and respect your wishes. Tell people you're on a strict budget and they'll understand, especially if they've been through this themselves. For instance, my best friend had only both sets of parents in the wedding party, which was fine with me because I could wear whatever I wanted, focus only on her instead of myself, and spend more on their gifts that way!

Don't worry so much about formal wear. Most men either own or need to own a plain dark suit for special occasions. There are places, mostly online, that specialize in "destination wedding" dresses that often run about the price of a good prom dress. A dress that looks like it can be worn to another function and will usually cost less anyway, and you can always get it dyed to another color later on. Why use something only once when you can reminisce while wearing your "new" red dress to a party later on? Also, never rule out getting a used dress. If you get something either as consignment or online that is roomy enough, you can spend a bit at the tailor to make it perfect for you at a fraction of the price.

Purchase your own supplies for invites. All we needed for one friend was envelopes, vellum, nice thick card stock, a die-cut flower punch, ribbons, and some glue dots. She printed them off at home and I helped her assemble the flowers and ribbon with everything in under two hours, giving her a savings of hundreds of dollars from what she was going to order from a printer.

I hate to tell you this, but no one cares about your centerpieces but you! (We're there for the party, you know.) Go very minimal on them, using sparse candles or small photo trees with clips on them to display pictures of you two as kids. If you can't make your own photo tree, check out an office supply store. Stay away from any kind of product that is marketed towards weddings. This is only an excuse to jack up the price.

Flowers are fine, but also expensive. Consider an unconventional bouquet, like one made totally from ribbons or garden items. This gives you the chance to make it more personal and offers something unique to your wedding. People with allergies will thank you later! This also goes for favors. Keep it simple and consider what people (including you) are going to be hauling away from the occasion. The coolest favors are also the most pragmatic ones. Think about custom matchbooks, m&m's with your names, packages of mints, and the like. My favorite is a pen I carry around in my purse all the time from my brother's wedding. This way I actually use it and still think of the wedding often with a smile.

Don't rule out using students or interns in a particular field for stuff you need to get done. Local schools have culinary programs, photography programs, graphic designers and more. These people are all looking for ways to expand their portfolios while hopefully getting paid. Feel free to ask for samples of their work and be clear about your vision for the wedding as you explain it to them. They'll often be more amenable to giving you what you want since they're establishing themselves as fledgling professionals.

Lastly, think about eloping or going with a destination wedding. Both have the benefit of only a few people at the ceremony itself. You can always throw some sort of reception later on to celebrate. If it's about the gifts, just remember this - you DO pay for those presents. You might be better off just saving the cash for a bigger investment, like a new house, a car, or your college fund. And don't be shy about asking for cash or gift certificates only from people. They often call it a "honeymoon fund" or a "new home fund" as a way to keep the request from feeling tacky.

Hope this was a help to anyone who needs it. We eloped in the theatre at a new year's eve party and had a large dinner later. I couldn't have asked for a less stressful way to do it. But I've also been to all kinds of ultra low budget affairs that were terrific. Mostly, being on a tight budget brings out the most creativity I've seen at weddings, making them the most memorable ones. In fact, some people I know would say that $3000 is a lot to spend on a wedding if you're just willing to put in a little thought and effort. What really matters in the end is the marriage itself.

Since it's an October wedding use fall mums and pumpkins as simple decorations.

Just got done doing this. The most expensive part was the dress, (350 @ David's bridal, $85 for the alterations, and abt. $100 for the two undergarments) then the rent-a-preacher who got about $425 and we saw him a total of abt. 1 hour.The cake was made by the groom's sister, we had wedding and reception at the church we normally attend, so no fee there.. We had about 95 guests, and we didn't go elaborate on the menu, and we cooked it ourselves.Centerpieces were done by the bride's Aunt, and we borrowed some items from a cousin who recently married. Look for Michael's and Joanne's coupons...those were a huge help. I got an archway at half off! My biggest pice of advice would be to make sure whoever is doing your photos knows what they are doing!!! I gave my $600 camera to one of the bride's friends to take pics, and most came out blurry. I found out the setting had been changed to "Manual" in the camera. Fortunanatly, my sister in law also took a ton, so I was very glad. If you are having a friend take pics, have him or her come to the rehearsal and take pics and adjust from there!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

July 29, 2014 Flag

I'm planning my wedding for 3/14/2015 and I'm way behind and I don't know what to do. We have a budget of $2500.00-$3000.00 with 50 guests. I going to use I recreation center and make almost everything to save money. I'm so lost, please help. I want to decorate and feed all my guest without breaking the bank since we need to live after the wedding. I'm thinking elegant with columns and drapery. My colors are mint green and teal.

By Norma C

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Tissue paper flowers are super easy to make and inexpensive. Make big ones and hang them from the ceiling.

I made all my boutonniere's and corsages with silk flowers and floral tape. I made my cake topper with a flat rounded Styrofoam piece, two Styrofoam bells, two white doves- I hot glued lace to all the Styrofoam, and hot glued birds and silk flowers on. Do you have relatives or friends who could deejay or make a cake or do photography? Perhaps one of them has a decorative flair and could help you with decorating plans.

Live on the internet... check Pinterest, there are literally hundreds of simple and inexpensive ideas. Nobody is going to care if you don't spend thousands of dollars you don't have. Go on Freecycle.org and make an account, ask people for what you need, or check your local craigslist under Free. You would be surprised what people get rid of... after their weddings. Good luck!

July 22, 2012 Flag

We haven't set a date yet, but we want to get married in 2014 after June, we both will have our bachelors in June and want to have our wedding afterwards. What month is it cheaper to get married in? Also I would rather have it before September, because we have a break from June to September, during which I am planing to have the wedding and honeymoon. I want a very simple wedding, I live in Rancho Cucamonga, California. Are there any cheap places like halls or something we can get married at?

I am planing to get the cake and food from local stores; it will cost about 600-700 so do not include that. I don't want fancy decorations and there will be no bridesmaids. Also I am Muslim so we don't have to worry about a church ceremony. I have already got that covered for free. I am planing to get our clothes for 500, so I have 1800 left to rent a place, photography, and DJ. Can you guys give me ideas and links to cheap places and things I can save on?
Thank you :):)
We don't have rings either. I am willing to get cheap silver bands for now although I really wanted an engagement ring. Is there a cheap place to get one? Remember I want to keep it under 3000. Please help.

By Aya

I assume you live in the Rancho Cucumonga area being you are planning on getting married there, so use the phone book and start making phone calls to get prices. For rings go to pawn shops to look for fairly inexpensive rings. Have a friend or relative take the pictures. You don't need a DJ, because a dance isn't a necessity. But if you absolutely need a dance, ask around to see if any of your friends or family has a good stereo system that could be the DJ.

Last time I looked Walmart (and other stores like that) carry quality jewelry (gold, sterling, etc). Surprisingly pretty stuff @ good prices. You can settle on a small engagement ring (price wise) and then later on you can buy something "fancier" after you have been married a couple of years or more. (My daughter has "traded up" on rings 3 times now.) etsy has gorgeous rings @ good prices also (etsy.com). Handmade ones that are unique.

As for the wedding, maybe just have flowers (or flower) for you, your fiance and one for a table or the sides of the ceremony area. You don't have to have flowers all over the place for it to be pretty. Cheap candles (buy in bulk) in cheap glass holders looks nice also, you don't have to buy new... get the glass @ thrift stores. Someone could hand punch table "scatter" out of pretty paper. Since you live in California, have you considered an outdoor wedding? Someone's back yard or a public place you can rent.

Check out this website for cheaper months info: It looks like November is the closest to the date you want, as far as cheap months go.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conte ... ates-and-times-affect-wedding-c.html

December 13, 2009 Flag

I want to plan my wedding and reception for august 2008. I am working with a budget of 2-3 thousand dollars. I want a small wedding. I want 1 bride's maid and 1 maid of honor, 1 flower girl and one ring bearer. The groom will have 1 best man and 1 groomsman. My brother is giving me away. Please help me to work within the budget. Thanks.

Rhonda from Queens, NY

Answers:

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

Put disposable cameras on the tables at the reception, so that your guests can capture moments for you with no cost for a photographer. Also, if you enlist family and friends to make the "dinner" that will help with a ton of the cost. Hold you reception in someone's backyard, the cost of decorations will be minimal compared to the price of a hall. Make your own CD's and put them on a CD disk changer so that you don't have to hire a DJ and you can have your favorite music for your day. Hope some of this helps you. Congratulations! (11/07/2007)

By Monica

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

Check out the 99 cents stores. There is a huge store near Manhattan Mall (right behind it) they carry wedding supplies. If there is a Dollar Tree near you check those out too. You can find glass champagne glasses, simple invitations, souvenirs to give to your guests (that you would pay ridiculous amount of money for in other stores) and decorations that do not look cheap. At the reception, instead of hiring a caterer have family cook. (11/07/2007)

By Evelyn

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

My husband and I were married 9 years ago in a church ceremony for 300 that cost about $3,000. Instead of a meal reception for all in attendance (my husband was a church pastor and I a chaplain at an elderly care facility, so we had to invite hundreds of folks) we held a simple cake and punch reception. The small tiered cake (for pictures) was homemade, and we had sheet cakes (of various flavors) that were homemade. That way, our guests had a choice, without it breaking our bank. Friends hosted the reception for us as a wedding present. They set up, served, and cleaned up.

Later that evening (our wedding was at 2 p.m.) we had our close friends and family return for a simple dinner at a church hall. The rehearsal dinner was at the church hall the night before and we had a great time. The main course was 6' long sub sandwiches.

We made our own invitations using fancy stationery from a printing company, printing the words on our computer printer, then embossed a design on the bottom of the page. This is very easy, using a stamp pad, stamp of choice, embossing powder and heat gun.

My dress was simple, from a catalog, $180, and my husband wore a suit rather than rent a tux. The groomsmen wore suits; the bridesmaids wore simple street length dresses ordered from a catalog and black pumps of their choice. We hired a florist, but requested simple arrangements and simple bouquets and boutonnieres. They were beautiful.

I really wanted a professional photographer for family and wedding party photos, so I hired a photographer to come about an hour and a half before the ceremony to take just those photos. Since he wasn't committing his whole day and night to our wedding, he gave us a tremendous deal, and we were able to order prints at an inexpensive a la carte price rather than having to purchase a large package.

I hired a local student photography major to take pictures at the reception and dinner following, and my brother videotaped the wedding.

Our honeymoon was a gift of a week at a timeshare. We were able to drive there, so it cost us very little. We're still married, still happy, and not paying off a $25,000 loan to finance a wedding.

I wish you well. (11/07/2007)

By Linda

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

Will the ladies at the church cater a simple fancy sandwiches and tea type of reception? After all as long as you feed the people and they have some fun you will be married even without the fancy roast beef dinner at the posh hotel. People like to talk and mingle, they like to hear speeches and see photos about when you were kids. All this can be done in the church basement.

My sister even got married during the morning worship service instead of on Saturday and people are still talking about it. She wore my old gown and no wine was necessary at the reception since it was at "fellowship hour". This solved a problem she would have had with some alcoholic relatives too. She paid the ladies to cater. They gave the money to charity or to some church project. It was very economical and she is still happily married 12 years later. Go for it. Think outside the box that society is trying to stuff us into. (11/07/2007)

By barbmg

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

Okay, I have a few thoughts.

1. How small is small? You need to make sure your ideas are clearly defined. To me, small was 50 people. To my best friend, small was 15 people.

2. Don't just investigate what's in your backdoor. Most people will travel a bit to see you. Check out suburbs, beach resorts, hotels and other non-traditional places for weddings and receptions. I got married on Mackinac Island in Michigan for 1/8 of the cost of Chicago.

3. Check with the Park District and Historical Society. My DH and I were married in a historical church that we rented from the Park District for a fraction of the cost of a practicing church.

4. Hold the line on photography. Don't get three photographers for a small wedding. Have your relatives and friends take over parts your aunts and uncles can do this. Better yet, if you can hire a family member, you'd save a lot over a "senior" photographer. My uncle is a gifted amateur and we were able to hire him for $300 instead of $3000 for a professional.

If you must have a professional, ask to see the rates on each level of professional in their firm. A lot of times you can save a bundle by going with a junior photographer instead of a senior.

5. Work hard to find a new way of getting a DJ. Hire a family member. Use an iPod. Burn your own CDs. Truck in your own sound equipment. My brother had a ton of speakers when I was married and we set him up with our laptop full of mp3s and gave him $200 for his trouble and it worked out great.

6. Borrow as much of the decorations as you can. Don't be ashamed to ask around. Most of my decorations came from friends who had already married and had bough artificial flowers they weren't using anymore.

7. Shop around as much as you can. The internet is great for this. I had my heart set on bubbles instead of birdseed. The bottles were $10 a dozen at my local craft store, but by saving 40% coupons and shopping various other craft stores I was able to get all of them for under $6.

8. Be open to alternative sources for your dress, and watch sales. Check Goodwill, Salvation Army, hospital shops, funeral homes, estate sales, and garage sales as well as David's Bridal and other places. My dress was $400, but it was regularly $750 because I snagged it at a yearly sale.

9. For the food, try as many options as you can. I had mine catered by a small resort that we were staying at, but customized my own package rather than going with what the hotel had set up. Some ideas if you are going catered: fresh fruit, pretzels, chips, vegetable and fruit salads, chicken and fish dishes (not overall seafood). Things to avoid: high end items like shrimp, procuitto wrapped melons, seafoods like lobster, oyster or mussels, steaks, high end meats, etc. Anything that the caterer is going to spend less labor on is going to net you a discount.

My reception had chips, pretzels, fruit, chicken and crab, whitefish, and normal side dishes and we spend well under $2k for it and I had 60 people attend. My other friends have had moms and dads make brunch style foods, hired the local ladies society, hired the Jaycees, the Knights of Columbus, etc. all for a fraction of the cost of hiring a caterer.

10. Don't be afraid to ask everyone you know what they might have a connection to. Lots of people have come down the same road and can give you local advice on where to do X thing.

11. Cake. Consider places like Costco or Dairy Queen or other non-traditional sites. My wedding featured a chocolate mousse cake and a white cake with cheesecake flavored filling. We priced both out at a bakery and found it was going to be well over $1000. We bought the two cakes, extremely well customized and decorated, at Costco for $14.99 each.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to message me. I'd be glad to help out. My wedding total was $3600, so I spent just a little more than what you want to do. (11/08/2007)

By cfbandit

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

It is nice to know that I am not the only one who had that size of budget. My wedding cost about $2500.

Keep it simple. Try to find a venue that is naturally beautiful. Does anyone have a garden, is there a beach or park nearby that you could use? If inside don't try to cover the whole area with flowers or bows or ribbons as cheap as they can be they all add up in price. Consider having one main decorated area.

Can someone make your cake? My mother in law made a mud cake and decorated it for us. A simple cake design can look beautiful and elegant.

Use and reuse. If you have flowers for the ceremony area transfer them to the reception area. We used our flowers to lay on the table we signed the marriage license on instead of having another lot of flowers for that.

Make your own invitations be creative when looking at paper sources. Our wedding was on the beach so I went for natural recycled paper to give it that look. While most sheets of paper were $1 each I found a pad of recycled paper for around $5 for 50 sheets. Print photos on paper not card as this will cut down the price.
However this can be very time consuming so if it is not what you value consider low cost printing on simple but elegant paper.

Don't try on dresses outside of your price range. All this will do will make you discontented with what you can afford and tempt you to spend much more than you can afford on you dress. My beautiful dress I got for $270 with alterations added as it was very simple (no lace train or sequins to add to the price). If you do dream of the princess dress see if you could hire or borrow it from someone else who has lately gotten married.

<p.Consider getting married at alternative times. We got married on the beach at 9 o'clock in the morning to avoid the rush of people. This also meant we could have a BBQ lunch and avoided having a big dinner meal. We also used the cake with fruit as the dessert instead of adding alternative deserts. (Who has seen the cake being refused because people are so full with the rest of dessert?) We bought meat for the BBQ when it was on special and some of my family were happy to provide the drinks. You could also have had a morning tea.

If your wedding is not formal then consider not having suits. Black pants and nice shirts cost much less then full suits and are a lot more pleasant for the guys in the heat of summer. Waistcoats can also be worn.

Keep it simple. Your day will be so much more relaxed and you can enjoy the day much more. If you don't have all the details they can't possibly go wrong.

I am so happy to say we have started marriage with no debt from our wedding. (11/12/2007)

By liz

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

Skip the cake. Much of it goes to waste and nobody will miss it if they're having fun. Make sure there is dancing and music of some sort. Go with a buffet rather than a sit-down dinner. Wear an unusual dress, doesn't have to be a traditional wedding dress, as long as it's tasteful, pretty and flattering. Carry a simple, but elegant bouquet. It can be a single stem rose even, very elegant. The fewer attendants the fewer flowers needed and less expense all around. Most people would rather be a guest than an attendant anyhow. The guys can wear nice suits. Do your own hair and makeup. You know how. (12/07/2007)

By Mary

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

My sister had a small wedding which was held in our Victorian home. It was a bit crowded, but lots of fun. We borrowed chairs from the church down the street, and had more flowers than the typical church wedding. Where did the flowers come from? Well, a few days before the wedding my sisters and I called several funeral homes to ask if they might have bouquets that had been left over from viewings/funerals. Most said "Yes!". So on the day before and the morning of the wedding, my mom and sisters drove around and collected all these gorgeous bouquets. No one needed to know that all the flowers were free. Otherwise they would have been thrown away. (12/29/2007)

By Alabama girl

Planning a Wedding for Under $3000

I am trying to plan a budget for around $3000 here in Portland OR and I agree that the most expensive thing I have found so far is the location. I am making my own centerpieces for the tables using limes and blue ribbon instead of flowers as my wedding colors are blue green and white. I found the idea on Martha Stewart. There was a big glass vase thing filed with yellow lemons and ribbon and it looked really pretty.

I am also not wedding a traditional white dress because all brides are starting to look the same and one white dress seems to look like every other. I am going to wear a light blue or Tiffany blue dress. I am also avoiding bridal shops for my dress and looking in prom dress shops instead. You can find a dress for way under half the cost of a wedding dress. If you are set on a white dress try craigslist.com in your area. A lot of brides sell their dresses on there after their wedding day. All in all its you special day and you can do whatever you want. To make sure people remember your day, make it as unique as possible. That is why I have chosen not to blue. (02/19/2008)

By Poeticsoulsta

Weddings AdviceDecember 13, 2009
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors
Bride and Groom Putting Money in Piggy Bank
Creating a Budget for Your Wedding
Wedding Dress Sale square
Saving Money on a Wedding Dress
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 9:07:03 AM on 10.0.2.102 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.