Thrift Shops, Yard Sales, etc. for Christmas Gifts

With everyday life getting more expensive my family had decided to have a little more fun with Christmas other than just drawing names, spending a set amount on a gift and getting that person what they had asked for. We got really creative and decided that we could only spend $5 on a gift for the person we had drawn. We had so much fun! You really have to get creative. Shop at yard sales, thrift stores, anywhere you can think of. I drew my sisters name and she collects Ziggy. I found her some unique Ziggy figurines at a antique mall for $3.00 and then I came across a southwestern picture for her living room at a yard sale for $2.00. Both were in awesome condition and she really loved them.

By Greatgodiva from Anderson, SC

I am with you all the way. What most people don't realize about thrift shops is...just because something is second hand doesn't mean it's used.

I find unopened crewel, cross stitch, and afghan kits, bathroom gift baskets, yarn still in the packages, fabric, kids outfits with tags still on, and the list goes on. I also find collectables and things to make presents with.

I also shop all year, which takes the pressure off. I make my list in January, keep the list of who collects what with me when I shop. What I love most is getting lots of little things then making baskets.

Here's a great idea:

Find a mug or cup that someone would love. Inside, add some gourmet chocolate mix, candy, and flavored creamer (they now have them in the slim packets like the cold drink mixes). Add a recipe for a great drink mix, wrap it in colored celephane and a pretty bow, and you have a personal gift no one else is going to pick up from a deptartment store the 24th of December!

You can also do this with teas, cidars, and coffees.

Some of my mother-in-law's favorite presents have come from yard sales. (Shhhh . . . don't tell her!)

http://www.savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/

During these trying economic times, it's only wise to spend your hard earn monies carefully. Thrift shops or second hand branded shops can be great bargain hunts for us. I bought a second hand, branded bag for my sister who will be starting her new job in December and it will definitely be a surprise for her. Look out for some garage sales or hotel sales. I picked up some lovely corning wares at a local hotel sale a few months ago as they are undergoing some extensive renovations. My friend got herself a beautiful sofa set at the hotel sale which may set her back by a thousand dollars if she were to purchase a new one. What a bargain! Great way to save money too.

http://www.parties-planning.com

Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalSeptember 24, 2008
Antique China Cups and Saucers
Uses for Antique China
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
Tea Cup and Saucer on White Background
Crafts Using Tea Cups and Saucers
Vintage China Pin Cushions
Making Vintage China Pincushions
🎄
🍂