Keeping Fast Food Warm or Reheating It Without It Drying Out

If I bring home fast food like a hamburger and fries at 3:00 and my hubby doesn't get home till 6:00, is there an easy way to keep it warm without drying it out? Or any microwave suggestions that works?

By Cathy from IL

I suspect it depends on what kind of food it is. If it's a burger or burrito, I'd wrap it in a paper towel (or maybe in the paper wrapper that it came in), and microwave for short periods on a low setting. I've done this with leftover bean burritos. It takes longer using a low setting, but I don't end up with hard, dried out spots. Tortilla chips can be reheated in the microwave, too. If you're wanting to reheat something like French fries, I'd either heat them in the regular oven, or not at all. I find that leftover fries just aren't that good, but heating in the oven gives the best results.

To reheat a fast food burger, reheat the whole thing wrapped in it's paper wrapper or a napkin for maybe 10 seconds, then remove the meat and heat that longer separately on a plate as it needs more heat than the bun. The bread gets too hot and even rubbery if it's heated too long. Fries aren't good warmed in the microwave. The oven or toaster oven is your best bet.

I set my oven temp on the lowest setting: warm. I've kept burgers and fries hot for 2 hours or so. I'll bet it can certainly keep them for 3 hours. I keep the burger wrapped, but spread the fries out on the baking sheet.

To be on the safe side I would refrigerate it in it's original packaging but also inside a covered storage container and then microwave on a microwave safe plate once hubby gets home. If you cover it with one of the microwave food covers you won't lose any moisture. Bacteria builds up quickly at room temperature and it's better to be safe than sorry.

If your hubby eats reheated fast food he really, really loves you. Let's face it. The stuff is no good after 15 minutes.

I usually sprinkle a little water on Fries and place them in a paper bag. Reheat on low for about 5 seconds, twice or if they're hot after the first 5, there's no need to reheat any longer. The water keeps then from drying out. You could probably rinse them in clear water and dry slightly before microwaving. I hate dry fries as everyone does so this should work.

Poor guy. I just can't imagine serving that to him.

I can't believe how many D-bags on here think it's okay to make a bunch of judgmental comments about this woman's heating habits just because she asked a simple question about reheating food. You are not a wonderful, helpful person. You are an annoying, self-important busybody and all of the "friends" you are "helping" with your advice can't stand you.

Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceOctober 13, 2010
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
Reheating Pancakes
Reheating Pancakes
Woman Avoiding Fast Food
Avoiding Fast Food
Slim Fast Bottle
Homemade Slim Fast Recipes
🎄