Alternatives to Plastic Water Bottles

I hear that plastic bottles are not safe if you use them over and over again as a water bottle. If this is so, then what type of bottle would be best for drinking water out of throughout the day?

Onesummer

There are a number of glass containers that are used in place of plastic bottles. Crate and Barrel has 2 neat glass beverage containers that even look like plastic bottles, they are in their eco-friendly section. If you search online for glass water bottles there are a few other companies carrying glass alternatives too. They even make carriers for them to help prevent them from breaking. Perfect for taking care of yourself and the environment at the same time. Good luck!

Every plastic bottle has an expiration stamped somewhere on it. I use plastic and when it nears that date. I toss it and get a new plastic bottle.

I like stainless bottles myself, I have gotten several from http://www.lazerdesigns.com - they customize them for free too.

I use a stainless thermos and pour into a cup. Half the trouble with plastic bottles is not being able to scrub out bacteria, so you need a widemouth, and half the problem is the bisPhenol A exuding from the walls, can't help you with that. Why use disposables to fill up landfills?

I use glass; however, I did not buy the expensive ones. Instead I bought bottles of Sobe which come in glass bottles and have a screw-on cap; one that has a lot of threads, unlike the one twist kind, so they don't leak. So, you get your bottle and something to drink besides!

http://www.snop … s/petbottles.asp

Simply not true. Just wash them out with hot soapy water. Read article in website above.

Thanks for the info about Crate and Barrel's glass bottles. I've been using canning jars with plastic lids (to keep bugs and dirt out) while working in the garden but like the idea of glass water bottles instead.

I think what is worse is to keep using a plastic water bottle and not clean it properly. They can harbor germs. Also it's not good to leave one of those bottles in your hot car and keep using as the heat will break down the plastic.

I was concerned about this so I saved a glass bottle from Snapple lemonade and just re-use that. I'll admit it isn't as convenient or lightweight as plastic but I can easily wash it over and over in the dishwasher. The lid doesn't screw on as nicely or as tightly as I'd like but works fine for taking in my van with me and keeping in the cup holder.

There are plenty of glass alternatives that you get from products you buy and can recycle rather than having to buy something.

We have filtered water and ice in the door of our frig so I really can't see buying bottled water; however I do occasionally if I have a coupon and buy it for traveling. It's also easy to just fill up an insulated jug with water and take along some cups.

Plastic bottles are fine. Wash them with hot soapy water, or run them through the dishwasher just like anything else.

Check out the Snopes link in the guest post.

I use stainless bottles that I bought at Walmart.

They are easy to clean, hold about 16 oz. of water

and can be recycled so they are environmentally friendly.

Use glass bottles.

Not that this source necessarily has all or even the right answers, but it is a good place to begin: http://environm … stic_bottles.htm or you can simply scroll down on this feed.