Neighbors With Barking Dogs

I have neighbors on both sides with 2 barking dogs each. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

We need more details. Are they abused? Neglected? Forced to live outside, on the end of a chain? Left outside while the humans aren't home? If they are barking after 10 pm there's usually a noise ordinance for any kind of noise. If they aren't providing food & water & proper shelter that's against the law.

In our town, if there is a problem of that sort people call the police. People can be fined if they allow their dogs to continually bark.

The dogs are let out in the early morning and they do their barking thing.

Not abused at all, spoiled is more like it.

If the owners go to bed late, they let the dogs out for a restroom dash right before bedtime (1 am), so this is accompanied by lots of barking.

Depends on how far you'd like to go to remind these people that it is annoying. I heard of one lady who taped the dogs barking, waited until the owners were asleep and phoned them , letting the tape do the talking or barking as the case goes.

Since "training" the owners on proper dog ownership doesn't seem to work sometimes, training the dog, using a bit of psychology might be called for. My sister-in-law gave me an interesting suggestion, which she has tried. She said to use a BB-gun and shoot it at some metal object in the dogs' area such as a cage or tie pole, (never at the dogs) each and every time a bark is let out. After a night or two of that, you don't even have to use BBs, but shoot blanks into the air. Just the sound will train the dogs not to bark at night.

You kinda have to be brave to do this, and it requires a little lost sleep, but you would've been up anyway with the dogs barking! The sound won't bother anyone, except the dogs, and you are really just shooting blanks or at poles, etc., and not hurting anyone. This would not be safe to do in small back yards or where the houses are very close.

How about calling your local police dept., the non-emergency number, and asking them what to do. Our officers give 2 warnings before they write an actual ticket for a barking dog (or loose dog). They do not tell the owner who complained, just that they have received a complaint.

In Richardson, there are laws that protect neighbors from dogs that bark at night interferring with sleep, I understand. I'd leave a note for both owners first, and see if they respect your request, if not, I'd call

the police as many times as it takes until they keep their dogs inside. Fences and shrubs help, too.

Eventually they will only bark at outsiders, not you, once they get used to your "sounds". Good luck, and

God bless you. : )

I feel bad my 3 doggies sometimes bark and are

annoying. VERY SPOILED my mom lives with us

and spoils them more than we do!!!!

The youngest pup shih-poo runs the yard barking

for happiness and the yorkie goes out to do

biz then wants "IN" so he BARKS loudly to be let in

even though I am at the door, the Jack Russell does not bark. I have only one neighbor

and asked them if they are bothered he said NO.

Just talk to neighbors about this and it may help.

good luck

Home and Garden Pest Control DogsApril 27, 2007
Dog Barking
Neighbor's Dogs Bark All the Time
Giving Christmas Gifts to Neighbors
Giving Christmas Gifts to Neighbors
Barking Dachshund
Training a Dog to Stop Barking
Two couples, who are neighbors, talking.
Getting to Know Your Neighbors
🎄