The Benefits Of Solid Wood Furniture

contest winner icon

Moving again and I find myself touching up the finishes of our furniture pieces. Because they are old solid hardwoods, a bit of fine sandpaper and some furniture polish/oil touches up the nicks nicely. I think to myself that folks pay oodles for "distressed" pine from Ireland and elsewhere - whereas I have my own version! Think of that when acquiring furniture! Old solid wood pieces (out of oak, maple, pine, beech, walnut etc.) wear much better than modern veneers/laminates (which are very difficult to refinish) and are at about the same price or less!

By Pam from Los Angeles

Actually are much less-- at thrift stores and Salvation Army stores. Your job-- learn to spot the "real thing"-- and it is a learning thing-- you may need to talk to someone who has made furniture-- but some of the tips include-- dovetail joints-- dust bottoms between drawers and the next one down--drawer guides with tracks to run on-- weight-- there is no way a plastic finish plywood or pressed wood dresser will weigh like the real thing!

good luck

I can definitely agree with this! When my husband and I found out I was pregnant with our first kid, he immediately started building the crib from oak. Of course, it's not going to be painted but we're going to polyurethane it instead. We spent the same amount (if not less) than we would have on a preassembled crib. My sister-in-law bad a preassembled crib that didn't even make it past their second child! This one will hold up for years, if we decide to have more kids. The joints are mortisse and tendon (sp), which will hold up longer than screws. It's a fun project!