Craft Project: Tie Dye Cardstock

Using shaving cream and any kind of liquid inks you can make your own card stock to use in card making or scrapbooking.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

• unscented shaving cream
  • liquid ink- I used computer refill ink (you can also use Stampin Up re-inkers or food coloring)
  • old container
  • rubber gloves
  • ruler
  • any color card stock
  • newspapers
  • paper towels
  • pencil

Instructions:

This is a fun project almost anyone can do.

1. Shake can of shaving cream, squirt into your container.

2. Gently squirt or pour a few drops of different color inks on top of shaving cream.

3. With an old pencil swirl ink by dragging pencil from side to side. Do not mix or stir colors, see the picture.

4. Take your cut sheet of card stock, (hope you have the gloves on by now) and push it into the shaving cream. Remove and use the ruler to gently scrape off the shaving cream.

5. Use a paper towel to wipe off excess. The shaving cream that you scraped off your card can be scraped onto the edge of the pan and re-used.

6. Continue pushing cards into the cream, you will get a different effect if you twist the card after you have pushed it into the cream. Also the pattern will vary with the direction in which you scrape with your ruler. If you don't like the look of one you can always re dip and do it again.

7. When you get down to the bottom you can push the scraped leftovers into your pile and continue.

8. Towards the end the colors will be mixed together too much and they won't be as vibrant. That's when I let the cream set on the card a little longer before I scrape it off.

9. You may need to use an index card in place of a spatula to lift the card up without destroying the edges.

10. Place finished cards on newspaper making sure they do not overlap.

11. It is natural for the cards to curl while working on them and while drying. The following day you can place your dry finished pieces underneath a heavy book for another day or two.

12. You will get different effects also by the color of card stock you use. I like to see what they look like when they are done. Some look like the stems of flowers, others like the ocean. I then decide what card to use them on.

I hope I explained this clearly.

By 1CardCreator from Rochester Hills, MI

How nice to have a different idea. I've never seen or heard of this technique before. It would be fun for my grand daughter who is always wanting to "make something".

If you use a larger sheet of card stock you can make a piece of frame able art with your granddaughter. You can control the colors you put in the shaving cream to make it match your decor.

Nice work! A fun project for adults and kids

This is a god idea to share with my best friend. She is into scrap booking. I like all crafts, so can see many possibilities with this one!

You can also use food coloring. It work just as good, and costs a lot less. I love making cards. These turn out so pretty. Sandycrafty1

So cool, someone was just asking for something inexpensive to do with her grandkids. Can't wait to show her this.

Crafts Paper CardsMay 21, 2009
Neck tie Christmas wreath idea.
Neck Tie Christmas Wreath
tie dye leaf pattern note card
Making Tie-Dye Note Cards
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Tie Dye Your Nails
Tie Dye Your Nails
🎉
🎄