Removing Mothball Stench from Wool Blankets

We purchased two beautiful wool blankets from Sierra Post and they arrived smelling of horrid mothballs! As we live in the NW the option of placing them outside is not always available. They have been on a covered porch outside and in the sun (when it shows it's face) for about a week... but still stink. I'm am presently trying to wash one in cold cycle with Oxyclean, since I read that it is possibly an ozone reaction in the sun that can remove the smell and oxyclean is packed with O3. I'll probably end up bleaching the blanket and am wondering if anyone has any advice other than sending the remaining unwashed blanket back.

I bought a vintage suit at a garage sale last year that smelled like mothballs. I tossed it into my dryer with two fabric sheets and tumbled it on low for about 20 minutes and the smell came out. Also - are your blankets washable? I heard vinegar will remove mothball smell from fabrics. Hope this helps! Glynda :)

The only thing so far I have found to work is "bleaching" clothes out in the sun. It doesn't seem to matter if it's cold or warm outside (I live in VT and did this in on a freezing cold, but sunny, day). Basically, lay your clothes out where the sun can hit it directly for 6-8 hours or so. The next day, do the same thing to the other side of the clothes. Make sure your lay them out so as much of the clothing surface will get hit by the sunshine.

I had to do it several times before all of the mothsmell left, but it worked pretty well.

I have bought the same blanket there. Mine smelled also. I put them in the dryer with some fabrich sheets then hung them exposed to the sun. That took care of it. The effort was worth the time. These blankets are beautiful.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 6, 2004
Wool Sweater
Removing Stains From Wool Clothing
Wool Blanket
Cleaning Wool Blankets
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
Removing Mothball Odor from Clothing
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing