Keeping Hands Moisturized

Is there any solution to make my hands soft?

I am a nurse, and when I was working, I washed my hands constantly. I kept a tin of "Bag Balm" near by at all times. It is for cows actually, but is great for hands, feet, elbows, knees, any dry area that really needs moisture. You only need a very small amount. It is the texture of Vasoline, but will absorb better, and once you get used to applying it after every hand washing, you will never go without again.

Bag Balm is available in most Super Wal Marts, in the pet and animal section, in a small 2½" or 3" square green and red tin. I hope this helps...Good Luck!

Lisa

#1) SUGAR: I'm a potter & there's nothing that dries your hands more than handling clay all day. My daughter came up with a solution to my nasty looking dry hands. Once or twice a week I'll scrub them with plain sugar & a bit of Vaseline, baby oil or cooking oil (any kind), or plain water & sugar. Better yet: put a chunk of avocado in your hands & add a bit of sugar then rub this all over your hands (for about 1 minute). The sugar removes the dead, rough skin, and makes my hands silky-soft again. All you have to do is, finish with some thick hand cream (or bag balm) afterward. You'll be amazed, it's like your hands are super-soft & supple again, instantly.

#2) SHAVING CREAM TO WASH WITH: Several other things will also help you. When you wash your hands (especially if you wash them all the time like I do) don't use soap, use shaving cream instead. You can buy a large can at the dollar store. I found a raspberry scented shaving cream I love (you can also buy Barbasol Lime). The shaving cream cleans your hands without drying them out!

#3) AVOCADO: Whenever I eat an avocado, I take the peel & rub the insides of the peel all over my hands. The Avocado super-moisturizes. Last, I use a mild cleaner & wash the avocado off. (see #2)

August 13, 2009 Flag

I would like to know if anyone has a good tip for keeping hands moisturized. I am a dental assistant and wear latex gloves and wash my hands frequently on a daily basis. I've tried hand creams, salves, and regular lotion, but my hands still tend to be on the dry side. I am also looking for a good firming body lotion. Thanks for all the help.

Blake from Poteau, OK

Answers:

Keeping Hands Moisturized

Ever since I got a sample of Dove Nourishing Hand Wash Deep Moisture to wash my hands with, I have had zero problems with dry hands. My hands usually get very dry in the wintertime, and crack in between the knuckles at times. No more. This is about the only name-brand item I buy, because it works so well. Good luck. (07/23/2007)

By Tracy

Keeping Hands Moisturized

The best product I have ever found is Gloves in a Bottle. I sell it at my shop and use it myself. It stays on your hands even after washing. It will last about 6 hours and is non greasy and has no smell. You should be able to find it locally.

Cindy (07/26/2007)

By beadlady

Keeping Hands Moisturized

It's totally by choice, each person is different, I thought Gloves in a Bottle didn't work that well. My Mom is a chef and constantly washing her hands, she echoes me on the Gloves in a Bottle. I just bought Gold Balms Ultimate Healing (in the white bottle with gold top) and it works great.
It takes a bit to soak in and it is thick, but I like it. I haven't used it for my hands as much as my feet, but you could try. I think it's all just trial and error and it's hard when you have to wash your hands often. Try moisturizing then slipping on the gloves when the lotion has soaked in, it will be a mini spa for your hands, the lotion will really absorb. Then when you wash you might not wash as much off? (07/26/2007)

By michawnpita

Keeping Hands Moisturized

Since I have been eliminating products in my home with toxins that took care of many lotions in my bathroom. I have sworn off lotion altogether in favor of plain old Aloe Vera gel. It goes on smooth and leaves my skin soft without that "clogged" lotion feel. I even use Aloe Vera gel to shave with in place of shaving gel or cream and my legs are so soft I can skip any moisturizer afterward. Make sure to get the kind without alcohol. I prefer Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gelly. (07/26/2007)

By tthompson

Keeping Hands Moisturized

Try anhydrous lanolin or nipple cream. You can get it usually at a compounding pharmacy. (07/26/2007)

By the Oracle

Keeping Hands Moisturized

I do this when my hands get really bad: White cotton gloves and a ton of Vaseline (petroleum jelly). Apply lots of the jelly to hands, put on gloves and go to sleep. In the AM your hands will be all better. (07/26/2007)

By lonefive21

Keeping Hands Moisturized

I saw in FlyLady how to pamper your hands was to use baking soda and some water to make a paste. Scrub your hands really well then wash off. Afterward put any good lotion, I use St. Ives, then put on cotton gloves (I use cotton socks) and leave on overnight. I work in daycare and wash my hands many, many times a day. This has made a big difference on my hands appearance and how they feel. (07/26/2007)

By anniebok

Keeping Hands Moisturized

My doctor's at work use Amlactin. It is not a prescription, but you have to ask for it at the pharmacy. (07/27/2007)

By sandy63

Keeping Hands Moisturized

Yes, I sure do, it is Avon Silicone hand creme in the tube. At times they run a sale. Avon.com or your local sales rep can supply you with this great hand creme and protectant.

Hope this helps. Try it.

Dorie (07/27/2007)

By Dorie

Keeping Hands Moisturized

A lady who works in a laboratory with acids, etc. once told me that their staff members use only Dischem Vitamin E 7000 Cream for damaged skin. It is an excellent product, available in RSA. I have been using this cream for more than a year now, and my heels are soft as a baby's bum. Maybe you could find out from people working under similar conditions in your vicinity what products they are using. (07/31/2007)

By gurth

Keeping Hands Moisturized

Use just plain Extra Virgin Olive Oil to keep your hands moisturized. If you like, exfoliate first (with honey and sugar) twice a week to keep them soft and smooth. But I just use olive oil to moisturize any part of my body. You could also slather on lots of the oil at night, wear gloves while you sleep and you'll wake up with soft, smooth, moisturized hands. This also works for dry feet, with cotton socks.

It's very cheap and you'll probably find it your kitchen cupboard. If you don't like the smell, just add a couple drops of essential oils, like lavender. (09/01/2007)

By Anonymous101

Woman putting on Lotion
Moisturizing Tips and Techniques
Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care MoisturizerAugust 13, 2009
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Keeping Shoelaces Tied
Keeping Shoelaces Tied
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding
🎉
🎄