Help With a Dog That Bites

I have a male Shih tzu dog. Before he was loving, but lately he doesn't want to take a bath and tends to bite the caretaker if forced to bathe. I would like to know what's the reason behind this change in behavior?

A lot of dogs just dont like grooming or bathing. I think they like it even less when it is someone other than the owner doing the grooming. Some just get more opinionated with age. Most groomers know how to handle it.

It depends if there are any changes new people pets did you move.

My stepdaughter is the proud owner of an adorable mutt not yet a year old. The dog now has biting problems. She will find something she shouldn't have and go under a table, then when you approach she will give you a warning and growl. Then my stepdaughter goes to take the item she bites.

When my stepdaughter goes away she leaves the dog with friends and the dog will do the same thing. She finds something she should not have and goes under a table and growls and won't give it up. If you try to get it she bites.

Can anyone help me with this problem so I can pass it on to my stepdaughter so that she can stop the dog from doing this and biting.

Thank you,
Adele from Staten Island, NY

Answers:

Help With a Dog That Bites

The dog needs to be in boot camp. That's what is called working for everything. She has to earn her food, treats, toys, etc. so she learns who the pack leader is. She has to sit and be polite to get anything, including going out. The humans should go through the door first, too. She has to be 2nd at all times until she learns. She will learn not to do that pretty fast.

She might always need an occasional boot camp refresher course or she might learn for life. It depends on the dog. Mine pretty much do whatever they want, but they know I'm alpha because there are a few things I won't allow, such as endless barking. You can spoil a dog as long as you establish who's the alpha from the start. (04/04/2005)

By Vicki

Help With a Dog That Bites

You might check out the Dog Whisperer. He has some great ideas along with what the other post has suggested. You can find him at: http://www.thedogwhisperer.co.uk/index.htm or http://www.unclematty.com. Uncle Matty has a whole section on aggressive behavior. Good luck. Post a picture of him if you can. (04/04/2005)

By Jenny B.

Help With a Dog That Bites

You might teach a command like "drop it" and practice it and reward with a goodie when she does it correctly. Another choice would be to distract her with a water squirt from a spray bottle anytime she growls at you or tries to bite. She will soon associate the squirt with growl or snapping. (04/04/2005)

By Linda

Help With a Dog That Bites

A vet says if there's a change in behavior it might be because something in their environment changed. My dog did that too. (04/21/2005)

By Jess