Freezing Basil In Oil

Here is a new way to preserve basil from the garden for winter use without drying it. You can not freeze basil by itself because it will turn black in the freezer. You can process a lot of basil this way.

I take the basil and put it in the processor with olive oil and chop fine, just enough olive oil to coat the basil and make chopping easy. It will be pesto consistency but larger pieces. When finished chopping, take teaspoon fulls and put in to a ice cube tray and freeze.

When they are frozen, pop out and put in a Ziploc bags and take out one cube at a time. You can use it in sauces, dips, pesto, any recipe because olive oil and basil work well in all of them. Just keep the olive oil down to a minimum. Because of the concentrated amount of basil, one cube will do the average recipe and the olive oil will blend and melt.

I have 1 1/2 cup Black and Decker chopper and I chop and add basil until it's full. I probably use approx a 1/4 cup of olive oil and 6 to 7 large handfuls of basil. As it chops, I just keep stuffing a little more in and before you know it, you're done.

Source: I discovered this on my own

By Cheecky from Whiting, VT

I like your idea and I am going to try it but I've never had basil turn black by freezing it. Did you rinse, pat dry well, place in double freezer bags and place towards the back of your freezer for quick freeze?

Spring of fresh basil.
Freezing Basil
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesAugust 5, 2009
Growing Basil
Growing Basil
Disposing of Used Motor Oil, Used Motor Oil in a Gallon Jug
Disposing of Used Motor Oil
dirty garage floor
Removing Oil Stains from Garage Floor
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway