Reusing Ziploc Freezer Bags

Can you reuse Ziploc freezer bags after you have defrosted what was already in it? It seems like a lot of money to keep throwing them away.

Joyce from Danvers, MA

I don't re-use the ones that had meat stored in them, but I do re-use the ones that held vegetables, fruit, bread, etc.

And bad for the envirnonment. I certainly would wash them out, but do not use up a sinkful of fresh water to do it.

I reuse freezer & sandwich bags all the time. I wash them w/ hot soapy water, rinse them 3x w/ cold water to get out all the soap & then I rinse them 1-2x more w/ hot water; let them dry & they are ready to reuse again. I also believe that it is a waste & a danger to our environment to only use them once & then throw them away.

thank you all great feedback

I have used, washed, and re-used plastic bags for years; then, it occurred to me that if I am going to all the trouble to wash those blasted bags, then why not just buy bowls with lids and use those? While both deteriorate eventually, the bowls do last longer, so I think that I am saving a little money there.

I do not know if this is a safe practice. I know that most plastics including containers and water bottles are only meant to use one time because after an amount of time they start to leak chemicals into to your food. If anyone knows where to check this out at I would like to know as well.

I use a regular sandwich bag to put items to be frozen in, then put them in freezer bags to freeze. That way, the freezer bag is clean and ready to use again.

I also wash my bags and hang them up by a clothespin to air dry. I freeze a lot of vegetables and I use zipper sandwach bags - put in about 1 1l2 cups each and then put 4 - 5 of these bags in a larger freezer bag. They are double bagged and I don't feel quite as quilty if I throw out the sandwich bag.

I reuse my freezer bags to store store bought buns in it helps them keep longer and I just reuse the same bag as long as its not damaged.

I reuse zip lock freezer bags if they are new and have not had meat in them. It just seems such a waste to throw it away when I can wash it and hang it to dry. My husband made me a rack to hang them on for drying.

I reuse my Ziploc Freezer Bags to put food scraps like meat or anything that might smell. Then I put it in the freezer until trash day. Then it goes in the trash. Saves the trash from smelling.

I reuse my bags as well unless raw meat was stored in them. I wash with hot sudsy water, rinse with hot water and then hang to dry. I love the rack that Betty's husband made. What I usually do it to put upside down over a tall drinking glass or simular. Sometimes I use a magnet and hang off the fridge. Then I throw them away when worn out.

I, too, have been washing these bags and reusing them for many years [though I like the Glad bags better for sealing]. I turn them inside out and let them stand in my dish drainer to dry overnight.

I use mine over and over. Just wash them and dry them good and reuse them. Also another tip for you is that if you had marked what was in the bag with a magic marker, you can remove the name and date on the bag with the magic eraser sponges. They come off fast and you can remark them then when you freeze something else in the bags.

Keep something in mind about plastic zip lock bags...THEY ARE NOT JUST FOR FOOD!! Here are just a few things I use mine for. The sandwich are great for...

Photos

Craft supplies

CD's (in the case or in a paper sleeve to prevent static)

Sewing and First Aid kits

Buck Wheat Ice Packs

Stationary supplies

The little snack size are perfect for...

Make up

Waterproof matches

Medicines (clearly marked or still in bottles)

Camping toothbrushes and mini pastes

Color swatches on your way to the paint store

Mini facial tissues

Hide A Key's

Gallon Sized ones are great for...

Undies and personal things in your suitcase

Folded right, tee's go in their great

Some shoes will fit in these nice big ones

Several packages of nylons

Hair curlers and products you think might leak

Important papers and books

And anything you want to keep clean, sanitary and be able to see and get to fast. And yes, I have used all of these ideas in used, washed bags. I sit mine over the handle, spout, or entire tea pot to dry overnight.

NOTE:

1. I don't turn mine inside out, as I think it stretches the edges of the zipper and defeats the purpose. That's just me.

2. If you put in spaghetti sauce or bbq chicken and then want to use it for a rare book, then yes, please use a new one. I get 20 for 1.00 and believe me, they are worth every penny! When they are ready to throw out, I donate them to the animal shelter for dog trainers to use for scooping.

If you look closely, you can see that at one time, I used this bag for lace.

Here's another good tip for using zip bags that I didn't see mentioned yet.

When you are in the kitchen cooking and need to refer to the recipe card, (like a 3"x5", etc.), place it in a sandwich size zipper bag to keep it clean when handling. You can still pick it up and read it, even if your hands are greasy, sticky, sweaty, or whatever!

My 50-year old recipe index cards still look brand new! Hee-Hee! Now, isn't that a smart & easy tip!:o)

I keep all our remotes like new by tightly wrapping them in the plain freezer plastic bags - leaving the"light" at the end unwrapped, I can wrap 3 or 4 from a large bag, depending on remote size, & secure together with wide"scotch" tape, they last a long time before they need recovering.

I hear all you ladies saying you reuse ziplock bags, but I am not sure if you can and it be healthy for you. Does anyone know if it is O.K. to do this? We need to start helping our husbands save money in the family so please someone find the real truth on reusing plastic bags. God Bless All.

You don't have to wash them everytime! Just mark the freezer bag with it's contents. Once you've used the contents, zip it shut (minus the air) and stow it in the freezer empty! I've done this for years until the bag is so worn out it can't be used for the freezer.That's when I clean them out and use for other things!

Ziploc Bag
Reusing Ziploc Bags
Better Living Green Living ReusingAugust 8, 2008
Ziploc Bag
Using Ziploc Bags
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews
Box of Ziploc bags.
Organizing With Ziplock Bags
🎉
🎄