Wild Duck With Mushrooms

• 1 wild duck
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 cup fresh, sliced mushrooms
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 1/8 tsp. thyme
  • Ad
  • 2 cup water

Prepare duck and disjoint. Brown with onion in fat. Add salt, pepper and 2 cups water. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours. Saute' the mushrooms, add the flour and thyme; add to duck and continue cooking 30 minutes. Serve with a border of wild rice.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Hey Robin - the duck meat will be super moist and succulent, and you'll get maximum fat in the pan to save for another use (like roasted potatoes, OMG!) if you take a corn cob holder and pierced the skin. I don't pierce hard enough to hit flesh. And I do a lot of pokes. Like a lot! I do a nice pattern of straight lines and I make the lines about 1/4 inch apart. This works great on goose too (and talk about goose fat...heaven)

Duck a l'orange
Recipes Using Duck
Food and Recipes Recipes PoultryJuly 30, 2009
Freezing Mushrooms
Freezing Mushrooms
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
Large Jar of Canned Mushrooms
Canning Mushrooms
Mushrooms cooking in a skillet.
Sauteing Mushrooms