AdviceGardening

Growing Plants in Chert

Q: Does anyone know anything that will grow on a hillside of chert or how to get something to grow in chert?

Carolb4 from Fairview

A: Carol,

Your best bet is to go with something native that is highly adapted to those specific conditions. I would suggest contacting a nearby nursery that specializes in native plants, or consulting with your closest university horticultural department or county extension agency. They will be able to tell you which types of native trees, shrubs and plants will grow best. They may also know what non-native plants have worked for other gardeners in your area or offer contact information for local gardening clubs where you can exchange ideas.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

The only thing I have found for sure is bulbs. I have dafodills and irises growing on mine. Also. herbs seem to be doing well. But, for sure I go with bulbs. Chert is not like any kind of soil I've ever seen. After moving here to Tn and being used to Maine's soil it is quite a change.

What is CHERT? I have never heard of it!