This cholesterol-free tasty dish is virtually fat free and is prepared with only 1 tablespoon of oil for 16 servings.
- 2 cans (16 oz) great northern beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 C onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 C carrots, sliced
- 1 C celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 C cut-up peeled fresh tomatoes or 1-1/2 lbs canned whole
tomatoes cut up
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- to taste black pepper
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled
- 4 C cooked elbow macaroni
1. Drain beans and reserve liquid. Rinse beans.
Heat oil in a 6-quart kettle; add mushrooms, onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, sage, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf.
Cover and cook over medium heat 20 minutes. Cook macaroni according to directions on package using unsalted water. Drain when cooked. Do not overcook.
Combine reserved bean liquid with water to make 4 cups.
Add liquid, beans, and cooked macaroni to vegetable mixture.
Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until soup is throughly heated. Stir occasionally.
Yield:16 servings--Serving Size: 1 cup
Each serving provides:
Total fat: 1 g
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 154 mg*
* If using canned tomatoes, sodium would be higher.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute