Store "Emergency" Eggs In The Freezer

When you return home with fresh eggs from the market, whip up a couple and pour them into a small ziplock freezer bag or freezer proof container and store them in the freezer on reserve for a just-in-case emergency like this:

Has this ever happened to you? You're baking a cake or cooking a dish that calls for eggs. You go to the fridge to grab a few eggs only to find that you are out of them. This has happened to me a few times and sometimes I either forgot to buy eggs when at the market, or cannot get to a market at the time. To safeguard myself from this I came up with this idea and it has been a safety net for me until I can get to the market. I have not kept them in the freezer for longer than 2 months at a time as I didn't want them to go to waste, but doing this has worked for me and I wanted to share this tip with all of you.

Source: Extra note: I thaw the eggs by sitting the container or ziplock bag in a container of tepid water and they cook/bake well and taste as if they have never been frozen at all.

By sbb1 from Umm al Quain, UAE

Great idea!! I'll try it. I'm always running out of eggs or the kids have eaten all of them just as I'm wanting to bake something. Thanks for the tip!!

Never tried this before but I will now. Great idea.

I've never tried this myself. Thanks for the tip! I'm inundated with eggs right now... we have 16 laying hens. I'm thinking about storing some of the excess eggs in this manner, for the leaner egg-laying months ahead.

Oh, and I wonder if you could freeze individual beaten eggs in each hole of an ice cube tray, and then once frozen store several of these in a plastic freezer bag? Seems easier to portion.

Again, thanks for the tip!

I almost never have eggs on hand so I use mayonnaise instead for baking. I add a little sugar to make up for the vinegar in the mayonnaise. I just throw a good big scoop with a tablespoon into whatever I am making.

I also use mayonnaise to coat chicken before sprinkling with bread crumbs instead of dipping in egg. Gives the chicken a wonderful flavour.

Great idea - but I'm thinking of putting a whole egg as is, in the freezer. Wonder what will happen?

Like many who have have read this tip, I think it is great and well worth doing, eggs seem to suddenly vanish in our household! Good idea about thawing too, thanks!

You've just reminded me to do this since I have extra eggs right now. By dating the freezer container, I will know how many per container. In addition I will leave some in the shell and freeze them that way too. Then I can take one egg or however many I need at the time, I like keeping them in their own container for as long as possible before using. Being fully aware that these chosen eggs are for scrambled or baking with and not for frying. They just don't seem to taste the same frying. I plan to try the tepid water trick. I been just switching them from freezer to fridge then using after thawed.

A wicker bowl of eggs.
Freezing Eggs
Food and Recipes Food Tips EggsJuly 15, 2008
Emergency Reflector
Make Your Own Emergency Reflectors
Scrambled eggs are too watery.
Watery Scrambled Eggs
Cooking eggs for a large group.
Cooking Scrambled Eggs for a Large Group
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews